Testing GS3

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by liberated, Dec 4, 2012.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Finally decided to put my iPhone 5 down and get a GS3. I have 30 days to see if I want to keep it. I so far I like it better than my iPhone 5 but the verdict still out. Battery on the S3 is way better too

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I had the S3 on AT&T when it 1st came out for 2 weeks and its a very nice device!

I didn't like all the crapware and flat out hated the carrier and manufacturer branding that is plastered all over the device..

A few other minor gripes were that the home button felt cheap and wobbly. Some of the features are gimmicks like the stay awake function. I glared at the screen and it still turned off. The pop up video was worthless and blue one I had was flat out ugly. It was 3 different shades of blue / purple.. The front one shade, the home button another shade and the back was yet another shade..

If you like Android the S3 is an awesome, awesome phone!

3. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

If you are on AT&T try out the Optimus G from LG. Superfast and it also has the microSD slot. Really nice industrial design and very little carrier branding..

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's funny. The battery on my GS3 was comparable to my 5 (it should be, since it has a considerably larger capacity). It still felt kludgy and unfinished to me, especially some of the apps.

5. Redbull2000

Redbull2000 Member
    Bronze

The GS3 is a nice device. Big screen, good camera, memory slot....etc its nice after all. But still depends on what you really needed. I had used both iOS and Android platform, IMO iOS fit my life style better.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

6. Allan knight

Allan knight Member
    Bronze

7. Allan knight

Allan knight Member
    Bronze

Oops. I do have to admit, the size of the S3 is impressive, but other features of the phone seemed flimsy or gimmicky or unpolished. The iPhone 5 just looked and felt better. Everything looked clean and polished. Plus it has an Apple on the back. If the S3 had a cheeseburger on the back that may have influenced my decision

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Ok so it's being a few days, here are some of my impressions. 1st, yes, the S3 build quality is nowhere near my iPhone 5. I do like the bigger screen on the GS3 better, iOS is more polished but it's also simpler. I like how I am able to use the GS3 in ways I only dreamed of with iOS (including a jailbroken iOS). Only time will tell if I'll reactivate my iPhone 5. I tried to switch to Android before and the fun factor wore off after a while and I found myself craving the simple interface that iOS provides. For now, I am having fun with my GS3!

9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Finding the device that fits your needs & wants is what it's all about!

I have no beef with pure Android. I loved my unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus when I had it. I think the S3 on pure unmolested JB would be an awesome device! Get rid of the ugly carrier and manufacturer branding (especially on the front of the device) put pure Android on it and I think I'd consider it again. The bloat ware on pure JB is minimal and can be easily removed.

I could live with the plasticky made by Mattel feel but I can't really swallow the S3's TouchWiz interface, the crapware, the branding on the front and the gimmicky included apps / 'features'..

My .02

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I have no branding on the front of my phone. Funny how some people knock on Android plastic phone and then cover their iPhone with ugly plastic cases LMAO

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Cases aren't permanent, so it doesn't matter what you cover it with. I think they are referring to the build quality and types of parts that are used in the phone's casing.

12. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

A) I was not knocking on Android plastic
    B) I never have had and never will have a case on any device, iPhone, Android, ect..
    C) Why the attitude? I gave ---> my <--- opinion and even said I could deal with the plasticky look & feel..
    E) Your phone does not say 'SAMSUNG' on the front?

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

It does matter, what is the difference between a plastic phone in a case and an aluminum, phone in a case? NONE! Actually the plastic phone would probably survive a fall better. Anyway I switch phones every year (iPhones) so in my case all I care is about my phone lasting, for at least a year lol

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I apologize I was not trying to be rude.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The same difference between someone with cardiomyopathy and someone with a healthy heart. You may not be able to tell by looking at their skin, but there is a definite difference in the parts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Also, drop performance is not the only consideration when looking at build quality, but since you mentioned it, the iPhone 5 fared better than the SGS3 in the drop test videos I've seen.

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Performance wise it doesn't matter matter what the phone is made of, I'm saying looks are irrelevant when people cover their phones in plastic anyway. I already admitted that my iPhone 5 is way better in build quality anyway. I I'm not even sure I'm keeping the GS3 but my desicion either way is based solely on OS preference.

18. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Here is a good drop test video where the S3 failed horribly and the iPhone 5 survived..

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=6M5q5TRuAsY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6M5q5TRuAsY

19. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Not everyone covers their phone in a case as you say..

Heck I'm a person and I always carry my devices naked.. The device is naked not me! :-D

20. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Cool video but irrelevant to my point. Dropping a phone will cause damage no matter what a phone is made of, the only thing that video proved is that the iPhone did better on that one test, and drop 10 different iPhones and 10 different GS3 tally the results then we can talk :)