Testing stereo docks for iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Is there any easy way to tell if a dock is going to fry my iPhone without having to actually put it on and test it out? I have a Jensen JiMS-200 and I want to try and dock my iPhone on it. The problem is that I don't want to fry my iPhone cause I paid way too much money for it. Does anyone have a good way (or know about this dock) of figuring it out?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Ok, so I just ended up holding my breath and trying it. It charges just fine. The only warning message I get is that this device is not compatible with the iPhone and would I like to turn on airplane mode to reduce interference.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I don't understand how any iPod acc. can be hurting iPhones, has to be the same power input, right? Same 30 pin cable for iPod and iPhone, has a USB connector on the other end, meaning it uses the same power supply. I've stuck my phone in any iPod accessory I come across just to see if it'll work or not. Has to be the same power supply for both, doesn't the "U" in USB stand for "universal"?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, it's not though. I bought a USB2.0 extension cable and the iPhone will NOT charge or sync on it. It works fine for all my other USB devices.

There's definitely something proprietary going on with Apple's "USB" spec.

So what is one to do if they want to dock their phone, oh... say, more than 2.5 feet away from their computers?

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
It has to use the same supply as the Ipods though, there's no difference between any of the sync cables sold. Maybe something other than the actual power supply is screwing them up? I use some old iPod car charger I found in a junk car from work to charge on the go, knockin' on wood.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
yes, it did indeed charge it. Though I must admit I didn't charge it fully as it started getting REALLY hot. I mean like I tried to take a call from it and it hurt to keep on my ear. I've never had that happen charging before so that kind of scared me. My phone works fine, but I don't think I'll be using that thing anymore.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I just wanted to share that a friend of mine had been using an old ipod car charger for his iPhone. The charger caused the iPhone to get extremely hot from time to time but not always. Turns out that using this charger prematurely killed his iPhone battery. Upon investigation the car charger was using the old firewire pins on the 30 pin dock connector. There was no 12V to 5V regulation inside of the charger, only an inline diode to +12V (actually 13.8V to 14V). I opened up the device myself. So far I haven’t seen any issues when using the USB (5V) pins to charge the phone.

Cheers,

Will

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Well I was in a Sharper Image store last month and plugged my iPhone into a Bose iPod speaker stand and it fried my iPhone instantly. The screen flashed white a few times then completely went dead. Couldn't boot it up or anything. Had to take it in and have it replaced. I am going to wait until someone comes out with one that says it is compatable with an iPhone.

3GEE

Mar 27, 2009
Is it still the wild frontier with this stuff? I'm a relatively new iPhone user and I'm looking for a good stereo dock. I don't really want a clock radio, I'd like a kick-ass, portable stereo that I can take on my deck or on the road to parties. I did a quick google and I see lots of stuff for the ipod. Will this work with the phone?

If anyone has some recommendations, I'm all ears to suggestions.