Tether w/o AT&T knowing?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
MyWi is an awesome app. However, it uses the built-in APN, or whatever. (I am not skilled in networking, beyond home network setup/troubleshooting).

This article mentions one app - PDANet - being able to "spoof" it.

Does it work? By that, I mean, does AT&T find out?

Or, what apps do you use that do not let AT&T know?

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
It doesn't matter, they will find out eventually, you will get a notice via text, email or by phone.

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
I may be wrong but don't they go by data usage?
If you read that article, it is caught because they realize you're using a different APN than the one that AT&T uses. So, no, not by data usage. With smartphones now loading true HTML, it is hard to determine what is using the data, be it phone or computer.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
If you read that article, it is caught because they realize you're using a different APN than the one that AT&T uses. So, no, not by data usage. With smartphones now loading true HTML, it is hard to determine what is using the data, be it phone or computer.
Ok thanks. I don't use MyWi anyways. "If" I were to tether, I would use Tetherme because it doesn't add a separate app and just enables the hotspot option in the settings. It also uses the same APN as AT&T so they supposedly can't detect it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I may be wrong but don't they go by data usage?
They do, but the top 5% in some cities is 2 GB. Also, I believe they monitor data usage closer on accounts with unofficial tethering usage. If you exceed 2 GB total data one month and use unofficial tethering, you run the risk of throttling regardless of where the top 5% falls in your area.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Makes me so happy that Rogers doesn't throttle and you're allowed to tether normally without an extra dataplan, so I just use Personal Hotspot.

Such a rip off, AT&T.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Makes me so happy that Rogers doesn't throttle and you're allowed to tether normally without an extra dataplan, so I just use Personal Hotspot.

Such a rip off, AT&T.
How much do you pay (USD) for unlimited data with Rogers? What are your average speeds ?

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
How much do you pay (USD) for unlimited data with Rogers? What are your average speeds ?
Sadly Rogers has never offered unlimited data, ever.
I get 6GB of data, average speed of 7-9Mbps in the city, according to Speedtest. They do not throttle you at all, even if you go over, but I'm sure that's so they can milk as much money out of you as possible. I pay $30 for 6GB of data.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sadly Rogers has never offered unlimited data, ever.
I get 6GB of data, average speed of 7-9Mbps in the city, according to Speedtest. They do not throttle you at all, even if you go over, but I'm sure that's so they can milk as much money out of you as possible. I pay $30 for 6GB of data.
That is a good deal. I pay $45 for the 4 GB Data Pro & tethering plan through AT&T. The speeds aren't as fast as yours, either.