Tethered jailbreak iOS 5.0

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 6, 2011
I have been waiting and waiting for an untethered JB and as you all know it still hasn't materialized. I have never done a tethered JB and I know what it means and know that anytime I run out of battery or need to reboot I would have to tether to my computer. But I was wondering if every time I would install an app or tweak from cydia and respring is that considered a reboot or would I be ok to install stuff and respring without having to do a tethered boot?

owieh

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
Sheffield, UK
twitter.com
Respring and reboot aren't the same. Respring refers to killing Springboard and launching it again. If I'm not mistaken, you wouldn't need to tether if it only asks you to respring.

Jan 6, 2011
That is kinda what I was thinking but I have been hesitant to JB because of that but I think as long as I didn't have to tether every time I installed something I would probably go ahead and do it because I very rarely reboot my device or let the battery die.

iAnnie

Bronze
Dec 4, 2011
There's a semi-tether tweak in Cydia for iOS 5. You wouldn't have to fear your phone rebooting with it, it allows you to have your stock phone functions even after a reboot. Your jb tweaks/apps just won't work until you boot-tethered with Redsn0w. The only downside is if you want to sync with iTunes you'll have to uninstall semi-tether from Cydia first (I'm not sure if that's been fixed yet...).

Dec 12, 2011
There IS an untethered jailbreak. It is called green pois0n. It works great and takes about 45 seconds. It is also very simple, just follow the on screen instructions and make sure your iPod/iPhone is plugged into your PC or MAC. It works with all iPod touches, all iPhones, Apple tv, and iPads. Just download it to your computer and extract the files. You can get it here, greenpois0n.com/ Hope this helped!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 6, 2011
There IS an untethered jailbreak. It is called green pois0n. It works great and takes about 45 seconds. It is also very simple, just follow the on screen instructions and make sure your iPod/iPhone is plugged into your PC or MAC. It works with all iPod touches, all iPhones, Apple tv, and iPads. Just download it to your computer and extract the files. You can get it here, greenpois0n.com/ Hope this helped!
Greenpois0n doesn't work tethered or untethered on iOS 5+

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Greenpois0n doesn't work tethered or untethered on iOS 5+
Nick is correct, Greenpois0n works for older firmwares. The creators of GP, Chronic-Dev are busy at work trying to un-tether iOS 5.0 and iOS 5.0.1. Pod2G has successfuly un-tethered the iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1, so at least there is a working jailbreak up and coming.