Tethering a Mac

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
My MBP is just 19 days away from delivery now (my first ever Mac) and the thing I will miss most over my Dell is the integrated 3G.

I looked around for a 3G express card but they all have an unattractive lump sticking out.

What success have you been having with tethering?

I was lucky enough to get Netshare while it was on the app store but haven't had a reason to use it yet.

So, does it work well or should I put up with a sticky out Express card?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
If you Jailbreak your phone there is a fantastic app in Cydia called iPhoneModem. Works amazing!

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I don't really want to get sucked into the update-jailbreak-update-wait for jailbreak solution cycle as I have an unlocked 3G.

I'll give iPhoneModem a try on my 2G but I'd like to use Netshare if it works well.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I don't really want to get sucked into the update-jailbreak-update-wait for jailbreak solution cycle as I have an unlocked 3G.

I'll give iPhoneModem a try on my 2G but I'd like to use Netshare if it works well.
Do you have both iPhones with plans?
Is your 2G jailbroken? If you are unlocked, wouldn't you have to be jailbroken?
I am a little confused.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
My 2G and 3G are both unlocked. I use them with T-Mobile in the UK. The 3G isn't jailbroken though.

I just tried iPhonemodem on my 2G and had a few crashes before even getting it to install. That's another reason I'd rather not jailbreak my 3G!

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
hmmm I haven't experienced one problem yet with iPhoneModem.

Can I ask how did you unlock your phone if you did not jailbreak it?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Just for an iPhone?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you were lucky enough to get NetShare from the App Store then by all means use it. I got NetShare as well and the App is amazing. It works magnificently and is very, very easy to set up, especially on a Mac. Also, you can avoid Jailbreaking because you have the "legit" App.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
If you were lucky enough to get NetShare from the App Store then by all means use it. I got NetShare as well and the App is amazing. It works magnificently and is very, very easy to set up, especially on a Mac. Also, you can avoid Jailbreaking because you have the "legit" App.
I read that it won't work with Firefox? Is that correct?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I read that it won't work with Firefox? Is that correct?
I haven't experience that myself as I use Safari most of the time on the Mac. I will tether a bit later and try running FireFox and see what happens.

Jul 14, 2008
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but in Cydia there is a excellent app called MyWi. It takes your iPhones 3G and creates a Wifi access point for anything near you. All you do is connect to that access point and now you have 3G on anything.

aphotog

Jan 2, 2008
atlanta
How is the speed if you use an iPhone to access the internet with your macbookp? I cant be waiting all day for my multiple pages to load as I want to be working from home with it when my internet has a failure in the house. Will I still be getting a fast, strong, reliable signal?