Tethering iPhone 3G?

ktownerxx213

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Los Angeles
Hi,

I have JB iPhone 3g and I wanted to connect to my vista laptop to get a wifi.

is there anyway I can tether my iPhone 3g without any additional charges on my ATT bill?

I know there is something called pdanet iPhone, and some modem apps on cydia, but scared that they might slap me with HUGE bills...

anyone tried it? and can anyone tell me how to use the iPhone 3g as a wifi router for the laptop?

thanks!

iemploy

Bronze
Mar 3, 2009
I have tethered phones for years. I've used sprint phones, verizon phones, and have never had a problem. I have used the pdanet from junefrabrics and it has always worked well. BUT, I heard some horror stories from people that have got hit with a huge bill like you are talking about. Evidently there is a "tethering fee" that you have to have on your plan so that they don't nail you for this. Yes, truth is you could probably get away with it.. but if 1 out of 100 people were to get caught, I'd be that 1 person. :)

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Last edited by a moderator:

iemploy

Bronze
Mar 3, 2009
My luck I'd get hit with a $3,000 bill. haha!

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
as long as you aren't downloading movies or tons of songs you are fine. i have compared bills on months where i have used pdanet and when i have not and yes the data usage has been higher, but no additional charges. plus, if you read through your contract, you can tell if there is any small print or a cap on your data usage, mine says no such thing. i have heard talk about a 5 gig cap, but not sure if that has been implemented but either way i don't plan on going over that.

ktownerxx213

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Los Angeles
Hi,pepe
I just downloaded pdanet from cydia...
And I don't know where to start....lol
I currently have unlimited data plan on by iPhone 3g and using vista pc.
Do I just connect my iPhone 3g to my pc and turn on pdanet?
Oh and if pdanet application is not free, can I use some other modem application from cydia?
Thanks a ton!

ktownerxx213

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Los Angeles
thanks but I don't have a mac and the application doesn't work for somereason...

btw, do you need a wifi for tethering?

iemploy

Bronze
Mar 3, 2009
Not sure about the Wifi, I'd have to look at up. You should be able to use bluetooth though.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
again, if you made a thread in the iPhone modifications or third party applications section you would probably already have your answer.

google and the search button are your friend. the best app is pdanet imo, just set up an adhoc network with your computer and iPhone and you will be connected to the internet on your comp via your iPhone. here is a step by step process how to do it.

http://www.junefabrics.com/iPhone/index.php

you don't need wifi, if you had wifi why would you need to tether your iPhone to your comp?

you're welcome, but in the future lets try to keep it in the right section :)

iemploy

Bronze
Mar 3, 2009
I've used junefabrics software for years and have had pretty good luck with it. Just never put it on the iPhone yet.

iemploy

Bronze
Mar 3, 2009
pepe, do you ever fear getting caught and getting a huge bill? Its right in the contract about not tethering. I guess I'm a worry wart.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
nah i really don't fear it, if it happened then maybe i might think again, but how could they prove i was using my iPhone as a wifi access point for my laptop? it states i have "unlimited internet" and while i'm not going to be downloading tons and tons of torrents or anything like that, i think it would be a fun lawsuit to open up as well :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
but how could they prove i was using my iPhone as a wifi access point for my laptop?
Pepe, so as far as you know, AT&T can only see the data amounts used and can't tell the difference between data used on the phone itself between data used on a laptop by tethering, right?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
correct, if you look at your monthly statement you can see the amount of data used. i have automatic payment setup but i keep the statements for records and i have compared data usage from my statements before pdanet came out to after and there definitely is an increase, however i have never incurred any sort of extra fees. like i said before i'm not downloading tons of crap but normal usage is NO ISSUE whatsoever.

iemploy

Bronze
Mar 3, 2009
Pepe,

Yeah, my guess is that if you were downloading a bunch of movie and songs it might be a different story. You're basically flying under the radar.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile

iemploy

Bronze
Mar 3, 2009
yeah I agree. I also carry a verizon wireless card for my laptop and it has a 5gb limit too. I never got near it either. I think you have to be trying pretty hard for that to happen.