Tethering now possible.

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by wjp09, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot

Final Result:

Tether your iPhone: EDGE internet on your laptop

[​IMG] 640 800 Full
    Recent developments have allowed iPhone hackers to compile background applications for the iPhone - among the most interesting so far is srelay, a SOCKS proxy server.

srelay running on your iPhone opens up a very exciting possibility - you can use your iPhone's EDGE connection with a laptop or other Wifi-enabled device.

A note of caution: Accessing your EDGE data plan through a laptop may be against your AT&T terms of service. Even modifying your iPhone to enable this service may be a violation. Please check before attempting this procedure.

Mad props to:
    - ziel (for writing Jailbreak)
    - NerveGas (for compiling these programs for iPhone)
    - Nightwatch (for making a working iPhone compiler)
    And the rest of the #iphone dev team. Also thanks to the writers of srelay!

I've done my best to make the procedure as simple as possible. You must first have run jailbreak on your phone - you need to go through the custom ringtone tutorial minus the part where you add ringtones (though you still can add ringtones if you want).

Now that your iPhone is freed from its jailed shackles, download the iPhone Tethering Kit and extract its contents to a folder on your hard drive.

Now double-click "tetherify-windows.bat" if you're on Windows, or if you're on Mac OSX (Intel procs only), open a Terminal and run "tetherify-osx-intel.sh".

Follow the instructions that appear - here's what you will see:

Hello, this batch file will install and enable a SOCKS server on your iPhone.

--------PHASE 1: Getting files off your iPhone---------

1 file(s) copied.
    iPhoneInterface v0.3.1 built on Jul 14 2007

Waiting for phone... established.
    iPhone state: Activated
    type "help" for help
    iPhone:/# iPhone:/usr/sbin# fileref: 1
    iPhone:/usr/sbin# iPhone:/System/Library/LaunchDaemons# fileref: 1
    iPhone:/System/Library/LaunchDaemons# 1 file(s) copied.
    1 file(s) copied.

--------PHASE 2: Uploading files and reconfiguring your iPhone---------

type "help" for help
    iPhone:/# fileref: 1
    iPhone:/#
    --------PHASE 3: Restarting your iPhone, twice---------

Press and hold the Power button on your iPhone until it shows the "slide to turn off" red slider.
    Slide it, wait for the phone to turn off, and press the power button to turn it on again.
    Then do it again. When your iPhone has started up the second time, press a key to continue.
    Press any key to continue . . .

--------PHASE 4: Restoring original update configuration---------

1 file(s) copied.
    1 file(s) copied.

type "help" for help
    iPhone:/# ---------DONE!--------

It's kind of a mess of things. There is no error-checking, so if you see "fileref: 0" in any of the output, that's how you know something went wrong. Otherwise it all should have gone just fine.

Congratulations! You now have an open SOCKS server on your iPhone.

To utilize it, you need to create an ad-hoc Wifi network without a router. This way the iPhone will remain connected to both EDGE and your laptop.

Wireless clients between Mac OSX, Windows XP, and Windows Vista vary, but the concept is the same. Create an ad-hoc network with your laptop, preferably using encryption.

Then set your IP address to a static address, without a default gateway. In Windows XP and Vista you can run this command:

netsh interface ip set address "Wireless Network Conenction" static 10.3.3.1 255.255.255.0

You would substitute "Wireless Network Connection" with the name of your wifi adapter if it's named something different.

Then use your iPhone's Settings panel to join to the ad-hoc network you created:
    [​IMG] 640 800 Full Hit the right-chevron button to go into the IP settings.
    [​IMG] 640 800 Full Hit the "Static" button on the top and fill in the settings.

Make sure to set the IP address to one on the same subnet as your laptop, here I use 10.3.3.2 and the subnet mask should be the same as well. Leave all other spaces blank.

Now set whatever application you want to use to use the SOCKS proxy at 10.3.3.2 port 1080. In Firefox this is under Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings. You'll also have to head into about:config (type that in your URL bar), type in socks_remote to the search bar, and double-click that setting to change it to true.

In Mac OSX, NerveGas reports that you can set a system-wide proxy:

1. Go into your laptop's network preferences
    2. Double-click the AirPort connection to bring up the proeprties
    3. Click the TCP/IP Tab
    4. Select "Manually" from "Configure IPv4"
    Enter the IP address: 10.3.3.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
    5. Click the 'Proxies' tab.
    Scroll down the list of proxy servers until you come to "SOCKS Proxy"
    Check the checkbox, and in the "SOCKS Proxy Server" box to the right,
    enter the IP address of the iPhone: 10.3.3.2, and a port number
    of 1080.
    6. Click 'Apply Now' for the changes to take effect

Your iPhone should be giving you Internet access now! Browse happy.

-Credit goes to cre.ations.net
  2. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot

SETTING UP ADHOC
    1. Click [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Start[/FONT], then select [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Control Panel[/FONT].
    2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Network and Internet Connections[/FONT]. The Network and Internet Connections window opens.[/FONT]

<LI value=3>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Network Connections[/FONT]. The Network Connections window opens.[/FONT]
      <LI value=4>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Right-click [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wireless Network Connection[/FONT].[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Select [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Available Wireless Networks[/FONT]. The Connect to Wireless Network dialog box opens.[/FONT]
      1. [​IMG]
      1. <LI value=6>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Select [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Advanced[/FONT]. The Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog box opens.[/FONT]
      2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wireless Networks[/FONT] tab.[/FONT]
    [​IMG]
      1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add[/FONT]. The Wireless Network Properties dialog box opens.[/FONT]
    [​IMG]
      1. <LI value=9>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Enter the name of the network. For a peer-to-peer network, this can be any network name not already in use. Example: Adhoc.[/FONT]
        <LI value=10>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc)[/FONT] network check box.[/FONT]
        <LI value=11>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If an encryption key has been agreed to by the other members of your network, enter this value.[/FONT]
        <LI value=12>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OK[/FONT] to close the Wireless Network Properties dialog box.[/FONT]
      2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]General[/FONT] tab.[/FONT]
    [​IMG]
      1. <LI value=14>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Select [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)[/FONT], then click [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Properties[/FONT]. The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box opens.[/FONT]
      2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]General[/FONT] tab.[/FONT]
    [​IMG]
      1. <LI value=16>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Use the following IP address[/FONT]. [/FONT]
      2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Enter an [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IP Address[/FONT] and [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subnet Mask[/FONT] for each wireless computer on your ad hoc network. The IP Address for computer 1 should end with a 1 and the IP Address for computer 2 should end with a 2.[/FONT]
    set the ip to 10.3.3.1 and the sub mask to 255.255.255.0
      1. <LI value=18>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OK[/FONT] to close the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box.[/FONT]
      2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OK[/FONT] to close the Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog box.[/FONT]
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. chrissurra

chrissurra New Member

Can someone do a walkthru for intel mac?
  5. DiscoJoey

DiscoJoey New Member

this is very cool but it sounds like alot of work. im sure somone will make a much easier way to do this some day and ill really use EDGE on my laptop.
  6. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot

I decided not to put up a video sorry everyone. I put up steps to set up adhoc.
  7. DiscoJoey

DiscoJoey New Member

:( id have atleast tried it with the video
  8. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot

I'm sorry by all means someone else put one up. I just can't do it at the moment. Im tired and my visions going blurry :)
  9. Nuggets

Nuggets New Member

Wow, lots of steps there. I guess I'll just use my iPhone to surf the net since this is why I bought it :)
  10. Mr Chuckles

Mr Chuckles New Member

Wow, lots of steps but pretty darn amazing and so quickly hacked. Hats off.
  11. MorningZ

MorningZ New Member

12. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot

Thanks ^ I'll update first post. Not a video tutorial but shows final result.
  13. dahkni

dahkni New Member

Having trouble

I am using Windows XP, I got a couple questions if anybody can help... :laugh2:

1. When you load the tetherify-windows.bat, at the very end, the command windows closes automatically (I couldn't read what the status at the end was, whether it failed or not,) is this normal or was the command window supose to sit there and wait for me to close it?

2. I created the ad hoc network on my laptop, is the laptop supose to connect to the adhoc network? or is it supose to stay unconnected...?

3. I tried connecting the iphone to the adhoc network, and it gave me an error, could not connect to the network.

Can anybody help :(

Greatly appreciated!
  14. Alexander

Alexander Zealot

Oh..

...This sure looks INTERESTING.... :gasp:
  15. qryptiq

qryptiq New Member

damn,

I can't get it to work. So far, I've succesfully connected to the adhoc. I can even ping the iphone. But when I open IE, no website!?!

I don't get it. Out of curiousity, I even tried pinging google.com and nothing. It seems I get as far as the iphone and no more
  16. qryptiq

qryptiq New Member

Dahkni
    1. When you load the tetherify-windows.bat, at the very end, the command windows closes automatically (I couldn't read what the status at the end was, whether it failed or not,) is this normal or was the command window supose to sit there and wait for me to close it?

Qryptiq:
    if I were you, I would start here before answering the other two questions. You want to be sure you get all ones rather than zeroes.

To be sure, go to a command line (START/RUN/CMD ENTER). Here, you want to change directory to the Tetherify folder and execute the batch file.

Let us know the results
  17. tzhourdeka

tzhourdeka Member

So doing this means you can use the internet just about anywhere?
  18. soulracerdc2

soulracerdc2 New Member

problems

I been trying to do this hack for a while now but I haven't got anywhere. When I run the command prompt I type "netsh interface ip set address "Wireless Network Conenction" static 10.3.3.1 255.255.255.0" and I get a message that says "Invalid interface iphone specified. Anyone what I'm doing wrong. Please Help Thanks
  19. ajisai

ajisai New Member

I am not expert but here's what I know..

"netsh interface ip set address "Wireless Network Conenction" static 10.3.3.1 255.255.255.0"

This command is basically specifying IP address and Subnet mask for Internet Protocol Properties.

There are two ways to do this, as far as I know.
    You can manually change them in TCP/IP window or netsh command.

It seems like you typed the wrong name. It's probably not "iPhone."

If you still want to run the command to change it, you have to find the name.
    To find the name of network connection, go to "Control Panel/Network Connection/" and find the name of wireless network you are normally using.
    Default name is "Wireless Network Connection"

Or

type "netsh interface ip show address"
    and it will tell you the available name of the "wireless network connection"

There must be some settings to changed in order to use Socket Proxy on IE. FYI, mine worked on Firefox, but not on IE.
  20. chrissurra

chrissurra New Member

If you are connected and can ping the iphone then all you need to do is change the settings in your web browser to use the proxy.
  21. Muncle

Muncle New Member

I installed this a couple of days ago, and it works great!

As far as I can tell...AT&T can't tell the difference between the devices being used...so you shouldn't be charged anything extra for this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.