Tethering options of iPhone 3G to AT&T

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I am trying to figure out what my next step should be regarding tethering service. My wife and I travel most weekends, and we have been carrying a Sprint aircard (cardbus) along with a dedicated wifi router that accepts the aircard directly. The beauty is that we just plug it in and we can both share the wireless connection. It is not blazing fast... but it is good enough.

The problem is that I am losing my aircard (work provided) at least temporarily. My options are:

1) Get a replacement sprint aircard on my own (about $60/month)
2) Jailbreak my phone and use PDAnet (or equiv)
3) Wait till AT&T offers tethered service through the iPhone, and then pay the estimated $24/month ($30 - 20% corporate discount).

I need some information to make my decision.

1) I know that PDAnet will create a private wifi network. Can I connect two laptops to it simultaneously and share the connection?

2) Does anyone know if the pending AT&T tethered data plan will include wifi access to the PC... or will I need to use the USB cable?

3) If it does support wifi access... can I connect 2 PCs simultaneously?

I have no problem paying AT&T the $24/month if they will support wifi connectivity to the two PCs. However... I do not want my phone physically connected to the PC in order to use the connection. I find the wired interface too restrictive.

I know that I can "share a connection" using windows... but I do not like that method. I am concerned about security holes.

I have been holding of on jailbreaking my phone... but if it is the only way that I can get tethering capability, then I may go that route.

Please advise.

/Jim

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
well, IMHO, i freaking love having pdanet. its definitely one of the best jailbroken apps available. and also one of the reasons i jailbroke (besides video recording). and also its free, as long as you don't download too much data. i think the limit is around 5gb/month.

as for your third option, thats not even official. so we may never even have that. and if we do, theres no telling how long youd have to wait.

and if you don't like being jaibroken, you can always restore to go back to stock, its that easy.

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I have used PDAnet before on my Treo so I am already familiar with the company. I have always had a positive experience with them.

I do not know a lot about ad hoc networks... which raises 2 more questions:

1) Does PDAnet support any type of security? WEP, WPA, mac address filtering, or any other type of security

2) Can I connect 2 laptops concurrently to the ad hoc network?

/Jim