Tethering plans in the US

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by hmfc-1874, Aug 19, 2014.

1. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Mods please feel free to move (not sure where is should've put)

How are phone plans in the US that that include teathering ?

As in the UK, most mobile networks have always put caps on teathering of even not allowed it at all.
    Apart from one, this offered the following:

. unlimited teathering
    . 5000 mins
    .3000 texts

Now the networks are going to start changing from 3G to 4G and because of this the only network offering unlimited teathering has stopped the plan for the only reason I can think is because they are offering unlimited 4G for no extra.
    I don't even want 4G I think they should off two plans unlimited teathering with 3G
    Or 4G with caps!

So can you tell me over in the US
    Your best deals, state what you get in them?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have a 4 GB data pro plan with tethering through AT&T. The data portion of the bill is $45 per month.

3. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

So they also don't offer unlimited teathering?
    And is you bill spit into different sections ?
    Because if your paying $45 for the data that's shocking.
    Three when they offered unlimted teathering with unlimited data
    You also got 5000 minutes and 3000 texts and for all this was £40 pound and and upfront cost of £69 for the 32gb iphone 5

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, they don't offer it on unlimited plans. But you can jailbreak and use free tethering plans with your unlimited data. You might get throttled, though. I just like to have the option to use native tethering anytime I want even when a jailbreak is not available, so I pay for it through my carrier. I pay $45 for data and $40 calling. It's not bad since I get a discount of 21% on my AT&T bill through my employer. Verizon doesn't off much of a discount through my company.

5. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I have 10gb family share plan with 4 lines and unlimited talk and text. I pay $160/month. This includes tethering but it's not unlimited. This price doesn't include my 24% employer discount so I pay a little bit less.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Carrier?

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

AT&T

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That's a bargain! Verizon is higher for 4 lines. I pay $247 total for the same plus free international texting and free cloud storage.

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I don't think I have free international texting but it does come with 50gb AT&T Locker which is their cloud storage.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Think I'll complain to Verizon and see if they'll give me a better deal. $80 difference is a lot for basically the same thing. I'll never use the international texting.

11. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I'd be paying the same as you if I kept my subsidized pricing. My price is for Next or BYOD customers under no contract, IIRC.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It doesn't work out that good with EDGE. Not from what I've figured. It confuses me, because some say the NEXT/EDGE plans are better and others say you pay more with those plans. I get it that it you pay 60% you can upgrade. But if you do before it's paid off 100% you lose your old phone. But I don't get the pricing. I think they made it complicated on purpose so people would not see the reality. I'm sticking with my current plan until I read more customer reviews. I go to a Verizon forum where I see many complain about the EDGE plan already. Time will tell.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I hadn't considered this until today, but if we go with NEXT, we'll get a portion of the phone paid for (or the rental charge if you upgrade annually) by our employers through the FAN discount, right? I might end up going with NEXT.

14. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I'm not sure but from what I understood, the discount is on the price of the service plan. This was before NEXT existed. I'd like to find out though if the discount covers the NEXT device pricing.

Update: after researching, some are saying if you are on the Family Share Value plan, the FAN discount will cover the device pricing on NEXT.

#14 ZR_Yancy, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i just switched from att to t-mo and i pay 80.00usd for unlimited/unrestricted 4g-lte and that includes 5gb of native tethering. of course i could always run an app like "wifi tether router" and t-mo would never know if i was tethered or not. but for me 5gb of tether data is fine for my needs.

16. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I would switch but coverage is not very good in the places I frequent the most.

17. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

I hate when that happens.

18. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I was paying AT&T $165 per month for two un-subsidised iPhones (a 5 and a 4S) that included 200 shared texts per month, 2 GB of shared data and unlimited long distance but without tethering. I called to find out about adding tethering and the rep I talked to turned me on to a new plan they just started offering that included unlimited texting and long distance, tethering and 10GB of shared data for about $30 a month less than I was already paying. It's called the Mobile Share Value Plan. 8GB more data a month, unlimited texts and tethering for less $$$ and at their suggestion? You could have knocked me over with a feather.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Which carrier?

20. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

A T & T. That includes an approximate $25 dollar discount for being a Harley HOG member.

Sent from my iPhone 5