Tethering the home PC

May 16, 2009
I found 420Greg's post on tethering but still have questions. I seriously need to drop my landline which includes my net connection to cut expenses. Is it true that my iPhone can be a replacement for this?

AT&T seems to charge 60 mo. for an aircard which is almost as expensive!

Please give me suggestions. (keep it simple..my computer genius son has moved out!)

DC

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
you need to jailbreak and use pdanet, its very simple, lot of threads about this in the iPhone modifications section.

here is a youtube video that walks you through it.

just be careful not to download tons of stuff. some people think AT&T will charge you extra if you exceed 5gb of usage, however i have never seen any proof of this.

May 16, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. Meantime I was still searching for answers and found an explanation about simply turning on "tethering" after connecting to iPhones...?

Do I really have to "jailbreak" to tether?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
yes you do, unless you are on 3.0 firmware (and i'm not even sure how well tethering is working right now on that).

jailbreaking is simple, don't let it scare you.

May 16, 2009
Good to know...watched the video and seemed fairly simple (is anything really simple?)

Now can you direct me to the BEST place for instructions to jailbreak?

TY

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
a quick guide i put together for another member.

if you aren't on firmware 2.2 or 2.2.1 let me know and we will have to remedy that

Last edited by a moderator:
May 16, 2009
Accomplished

So I JB the iPhone and then struggled with a video on setting up the PC when I had a lite bulb moment (or gave up) and simply downloaded PDaNet to the PC and it connected almost immediately.

Hmmm...It was explained to put it on the phone but not mentioned(or I missed it) to install on the PC...

Either way it was much simpler than I was trying to make it.

My iPhone connection is soo slow though. Not sure I would ever want to use it full time though....sigh...so that didn't really solve my problem about ditching my landline phone and internet service.

Thanks for all you help eith way...you guys are so smart.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
do you have good 3g service in your area? it isn't as fast as wifi, but it is still pretty good imo.

May 16, 2009
Don't think I really know what good is...I do know that my iPhone has never downloaded very fast so I rarely use the net on it. How sad is that! Didn't understand what all the 3G hype was about.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^thats your problem then. if you don't have a good 3g connection (how fast your phone downloads things) then you won't be able to get fast speeds on your computer via tethering. where about are you located?