Tethering walkthru

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Im by no means a unix guru but this worked for me and I am posting this through my iPhone on my macbook..

Use jailbreak to unlock the phone.
Use iPhoneinterface
Relock phone and add plist file.
Exit

Then
Download
http://dinkdoink.com/upload/tetherkit-osx.zip
unzip that file to the desktop
open terminal
type the following
cd Desktop
cd tetherkit-osx
chmod u+x *

then move jailbreak out
change to the phonedmg directory
cd (drag folder onto terminal it will autolink)
./jailbreak
(it should run)

cd
cd Desktop/tetherkit-osx
./tetherify-osx-intel.sh
Follow instructions

That worked for me and I was able to surf with my macbook at central park with my iPhone in my pocket.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks to everyone who got this done!

qryptiq

Jul 21, 2007
Thanks for the write up....Is there a windows walk- through on this?

I followed the tetherkit on cre.ations.com but was not successful...

Im by no means a unix guru but this worked for me and I am posting this through my iPhone on my macbook..

Use jailbreak to unlock the phone.
Use iPhoneinterface
Relock phone and add plist file.
Exit

Then
Download
http://dinkdoink.com/upload/tetherkit-osx.zip
unzip that file to the desktop
open terminal
type the following
cd Desktop
cd tetherkit-osx
chmod u+x *

then move jailbreak out
./jailbreak
(it should run)

cd
cd Desktop/tetherkit-osx
./tetherify-osx-intel.sh
Follow instructions

That worked for me and I was able to surf with my macbook at central park with my iPhone in my pocket.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks to everyone who got this done!

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Looking at the .bat file it looks like it can be run without having to cmd and jailbreak.

I don't have a windows machine in front of me but the script looks to be ok. Did you try running the script without jailbreak?

qryptiq

Jul 21, 2007
correct me if im wrong but;

don't u run jailbreak once to break the chains?. After that u have access to your iPhone with iPhoneinterface

BTW: does TTY play a part in all this?it's a feature on the iPhone and i thought i'd ask....

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
That version doesn't work on the intel mac, the script was coded wrong. This one is modified and there is a new version of jailbreak that is necessary for the script to run through terminal.

Thats why I reposted it, feel free to merge this or delete it.

Muncle

Jul 16, 2007
Texas
then move jailbreak out
./jailbreak
(it should run)
Sorry..I understand what the goal in doing this is, but I want to make sure I don't mess up. What do you mean by "then move jailbreak out"?

Muncle

Jul 16, 2007
Texas
Never Mind, I got it working...

I was reading into the directions too much!

Ha!

EDIT::

After doing this, has anyone else noticed the "Phone Number: n/a " on the iPhone sync screen in iTunes?

Mine does it..and although everything works perfectly..(I can make and receive calls) this one little thing is bugging me.

By the way, anyone have any thoughts on if AT&T can find out that you are using edge on your computer?

EDIT:: 2

Sorry about being a little annoying..
but if I restore my iPhone, it will remove this tether hack, and all my ringtones and other mods, correct? So it would basically be just like turning on a brand new iPhone?

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
There seems to be some more questions so I rewrote this walkthru more detailed

1. Ok if you have never done a hack on your phone the first thing you need to do is follow the directions here http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/iPhone_first_ten_steps_to_modding.html

2. Download http://dinkdoink.com/upload/tetherkit-osx.zip

3. Unzip that file to the desktop

4. Open terminal (applications then utilities)

5. Type the following
cd Desktop then enter
cd tetherkit-osx then enter
chmod u+x * then enter

This gives you permission to run these files in unix.

6. Move jailbreak out of the cd tetherkit-osx folder to another folder such as documents, you will see why later.

7. Change back to the phomedmg folder that you made in the step 1 walkthru.. you do this by typing cd and then dragging your phonedmg onto the terminal (it will automatically type the link for you)

8. Drag the jailbreak from your phonedmg out of this folder and onto your desktop.

9. Drag the jailbreak you put in the folder from step 6 into your phonedmg folder

10. Type ./jailbreak this will run the new modified jailbreak, follow the jailbreak instructions, holding the 2 buttons for 25 sec.

11. Type cd in terminal

12. Type cd Desktop/tetherkit-osx in terminal, this will put you back in the correct folder.

13. Type ./tetherify-osx-intel.sh into terminal and hit enter

14. Follow the on screen instructions (restart twice)

15. Use the Nervegas writeup to create a systemwide proxy in OS X

1. Go into your laptop's network preferences
2. Double-click the AirPort connection to bring up the proeprties
3. Click the TCP/IP Tab
4. Select "Manually" from "Configure IPv4"
Enter the IP address: 10.3.3.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
5. Click the 'Proxies' tab.
Scroll down the list of proxy servers until you come to "SOCKS Proxy"
Check the checkbox, and in the "SOCKS Proxy Server" box to the right,
enter the IP address of the iPhone: 10.3.3.2, and a port number
of 1080.
6. Click 'Apply Now' for the changes to take effect

Hope this was more clear if you have any more questions Ill try to answer them the best I can.

clayk

Jun 30, 2007
Hate to be stupid, but. I did all the steps and set up the network on my mac but how do I connect to the newly created airport network. Thanks.

Clay

Muncle

Jul 16, 2007
Texas
What part are you not getting? I got stuck too, but after a while of tinkering in Network Preferences and the iPhone, I got it working.

qryptiq

Jul 21, 2007
What part are you not getting? I got stuck too, but after a while of tinkering in Network Preferences and the iPhone, I got it working.
I'M NOT SURE WHAT PART - I DO KNOW THAT I'M ABLE TO PING THE iPhone FROM MY LAPTOP....sorry bout the caps.

I can ping, and my connection show up fine - maximum speed on the wireless connection view page, but that's as far as i get. I cannot telnet and of course i cannot get internet.

I am PC based. As for network preferences, i gave my laptop a statice ip of 10.3.3.1 and 255.255.255.0 -uhmmm, other than that everything "seems" ok...

ikecomp

Jul 29, 2007
I'M NOT SURE WHAT PART - I DO KNOW THAT I'M ABLE TO PING THE iPhone FROM MY LAPTOP....sorry bout the caps.

I can ping, and my connection show up fine - maximum speed on the wireless connection view page, but that's as far as i get. I cannot telnet and of course i cannot get internet.

I am PC based. As for network preferences, i gave my laptop a statice ip of 10.3.3.1 and 255.255.255.0 -uhmmm, other than that everything "seems" ok...
did you go through and change your settings in firefox? (set it up for socks proxy, enable socks proxy in on the about:config screen, etc)

qryptiq

Jul 21, 2007
did you go through and change your settings in firefox? (set it up for socks proxy, enable socks proxy in on the about:config screen, etc)

here's the thing i have windowsXP - hopefully that's not the problem :p

I have internet explorer and out of curiosity i downloaded and installed firefox. Now, there is no socks proxy under about:config - well, at least not the pc version i download (latest version). There is a network.proxy.socks_remote_dns which i put as true.

With that said, it seems like all is fine, but no internet.....:mad:

ikecomp

Jul 29, 2007
here's the thing i have windowsXP - hopefully that's not the problem :p

I have internet explorer and out of curiosity i downloaded and installed firefox. Now, there is no socks proxy under about:config - well, at least not the pc version i download (latest version). There is a network.proxy.socks_remote_dns which i put as true.

With that said, it seems like all is fine, but no internet.....:mad:
did you also set up firefox to look for the socks proxy server at the ip address and port of your iPhone (i.e. 10.3.3.2 port 1080)?

if you've already done all that, I would suggest restarting your iPhone and then trying to connect. I've found that sometimes it requires a restart of my iPhone to get everything working properly.

qryptiq

Jul 21, 2007
did you also set up firefox to look for the socks proxy server at the ip address and port of your iPhone (i.e. 10.3.3.2 port 1080)?

if you've already done all that, I would suggest restarting your iPhone and then trying to connect. I've found that sometimes it requires a restart of my iPhone to get everything working properly.
thanks, i will try that.....

shift_2kmaxima

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
hey guys, iam having a lil problem on this tethering thing....
i've done all those steps, that chrissura provided....but iam still not gettting it to work...i went to terminal and installed the tethering kit, and it said that it was DONE.
now i also went to network preferecnes on my macbook, and changed everything that was supossed to be changed, and when i open either firefox or safari, NO internet on laptop :(...am i supossed to change something on iPhone? or leave it the way it is? wifi on? edge? also i cant get on internet now with my laptop while using my home wifi.....what should i do to fix this?
thanks a lot

huso