Tethering works on Windows now!

JustinCarpenter

Bronze
Mar 24, 2009
Michigan
I am currently on the 3G network on ATT writing this now on Windows Vista. I am glad they added modem support.

Edit: Just did a speed test and getting very good speeds on 3G!

evrock

Mar 26, 2009
how did you get this to work? mine still only works on the mac after upgrading to beta 4...do I have to do anything special? Im running XP not vista. On the mac I just plug in my phone and it automatically works.

JustinCarpenter

Bronze
Mar 24, 2009
Michigan
Yeah, with Beta 4, Vista automatically found the drivers and set it up as a new network and my phone immediately came up with the blue bar at the top that said "Internet Tethering" That was my main problem before is having it recognize it as a network.

Not sure about XP, but try having it automatically search for the device driver.

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
yeah im running xp with beta 4 and it works like a charm. all i did was plug in my phone and it recognized it

TOPDOG954

Apr 30, 2009
Does this only work with the 3g network?

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
Been tethering all morning. Be ready to expect a $25 tethering plan. :)

TOPDOG954

Apr 30, 2009
My question still stands....does this only work for the new iPhone 3g

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
My tethering will not work now. I only tethered yesterday for about 3 minute increments every hour for 4 hours, so about 12-15 minutes of tether surfing so it shouldnt have drawn any red flags. Anyone else having an issue with tethering?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
My tethering will not work now. I only tethered yesterday for about 3 minute increments every hour for 4 hours, so about 12-15 minutes of tether surfing so it shouldnt have drawn any red flags. Anyone else having an issue with tethering?
I am using it right now, on vista and it installed an Apple ethernet driver then connected. I was not even involved on the pc end all I did was have the iPhone connected to the pc and turn on tethering which enabled the driver download.

As for it not working, maybe AT&T realized that it was working and are disabling drivers or our connections on their end so we can't connect through the driver.

JustinCarpenter

Bronze
Mar 24, 2009
Michigan
I am still on it. Tried it at school on XP Pro and couldn't figure it out. Drivers didn't automatically install. But Vista is still good!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
It seems that vista handles the tethering flawlessly and automatically which is awesome. I am glad it's that easy and they are getting it ready, so maybe that's a sign of a possible deal made between them and AT&T.

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
I already have the hacked IPCC file and 3.0.before. Tethering was working yesterday, but not today.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
How much would you be willing to pay for the addition of this feature?
Now that's a good question. Hmm there's always $0 extra, but knowing AT&T that isn't going happen. I think $10 might be my limit. $20 or $30 might be unfair since we already pay that much depending on your phone. Although I could see them charging twice for data.

NickB

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
I am using it right now, on vista and it installed an Apple ethernet driver then connected. I was not even involved on the pc end all I did was have the iPhone connected to the pc and turn on tethering which enabled the driver download.

As for it not working, maybe AT&T realized that it was working and are disabling drivers or our connections on their end so we can't connect through the driver.

Is tethering only working on jailbroken phones? i have the newest 3.0 and iTunes betas, and don't see the tethering option to turn on...

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Is tethering only working on jailbroken phones? i have the newest 3.0 and iTunes betas, and don't see the tethering option to turn on...
No, whether it will work for you or not the option is under settings> general> network> Tethering. There is no jailbreaking needed for 3.0 to tether. But you will need a hacked ipcc file to get it to show up.

rbrown13

Mar 30, 2009
I hooked mine up with USB and it practically set itself up.

I'm on XP, using Beta 4

I had the same experience all I did is turn on tethering and plugged the usb into my XP box and there it was an Apple mobile network.

rbrown13

Mar 30, 2009
Now that's a good question. Hmm there's always $0 extra, but knowing AT&T that isn't going happen. I think $10 might be my limit. $20 or $30 might be unfair since we already pay that much depending on your phone. Although I could see them charging twice for data.

I'm with iphun I think we pay enough for the iPhone plan as it is on top of the regular monthly bill.