Tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Europa, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have a JB iPhone 3G and I'm considering tethering with PDAnet. For those of you who use it, can AT&T tell the difference between data used on the phone and data used on the laptop? If they can tell it was used on the laptop, can they charge you for the data? Is there nothing to worry about as long as you use less than 5 Gb a month on the laptop (or is it 5 Gb total between the iPhone and laptop?)?

Thanks

2. cpolaris502

cpolaris502 New Member
    Bronze

Ive used it quite a bit and never had any problems with it.

If you do a few searches you should be able to find a couple threads all about this and what could happen between you and AT&T.

3. Skol312000

Skol312000 New Member

I thought the iPhones data pla. Is an unlimiter one? Why are we limited to 5gigs? I know teethering isn't allowed,but... Plant is unlimited right?

4. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

search is your friend

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/pdanet-worth-it.35749/
    http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/pdanet-review.38368/
    http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/pdanet-awesomeness.36897/
    http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/pdanet-use-iphone-as-wireless-router.33976/

to answer your question, i have used pdanet a lot, and have never been charged extra. i am not sure if there is a cap, but normal usage and some downloading should not cause any issues whatsoever.

#4 PepeRB29, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Ok, so I set it up and it worked great for tethering. It even stayed connected when I got a phone call. Isn't it supposed to disconnect when you get a call, text, or email? I don't have an app to allow apps to run in the background. I disconnected and went back to using the WiFi for my laptop and phone and after a couple of minutes, I noticed that the network I created on my MacBook for tethering disappeared fromt the list of available networks listed on it as well as on my phone. Do you have to set up a new network each time you want to tether or should it save this computer to computer network? I didn't notice anywhere on the MacBook where I could save the network I created.

Thanks!

6. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

not sure if its supposed to stay connected or not when using the phone. i set up a new network each time i use it on my macbook, takes about 2 minutes to do so.

7. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

^don't post about cracks or stealing apps, post reported

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Who are you referring to? I don't see anywhere where that has occurred on this thread.

I guess a moderator deleted it...

9. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

yah, a mod deleted it, some guy posted up hacking info for a cracked pdanet version. wasn't you bro, no worries :)

10. downsized

downsized Member
    Bronze

I've gone through looking for posts on "tethering", but have not been able to find much help.

We camp a lot, and many of us have laptops. I see a few devices availible that claim that you can turn your 3G phone into a wireless router.
    Have any of you had any experiences with this?
    The places that we camp, do (or soon will) have 3G access.

I suspect that the data usage would be "fairly" low, and even if a 5G limit were imposed, I could live with that, but it would be nice to allow several laptops to be connected...that, and the fact that several of the devices claim that they can be run on 13.5VDC.

No streaming videos, just mostly checking e-mails, and the like.

11. mitchellm4

mitchellm4 Member
    Bronze

on the 3.0 beta, tethering is working. if you are just checking email, however, just use your phone. you need to be careful because some people have reported AT&T giving them huge bills because of tethering.

12. downsized

downsized Member
    Bronze

I appreciate that, but I am talking 4 or 5 families. Large campouts.
    I suspect that I would not want to allow unlimited usage of my 3G, but enough so that everyone could check in once or twice a day.

13. mramay

mramay Member
    Bronze

Jailbreak and PdaNet. I'm using Vista and it works surprisingly well.

14. Adam1389

Adam1389 Member
    Silver

You are wanting them to all be tethered to it at the same time?

15. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Where are these reports of large bills after tethering? Surely it will just come out of the data plan of the phone?

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can only tether one laptop at a time.

17. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

there are none, people simply think it can happen. kind of a scare tactic imo. i have used pdanet a lot and have never been charged a penny extra on my bill.

18. downsized

downsized Member
    Bronze

I'm not sure about that. I see reports of WiFi routers that are designed to have 3G phones plugged into them, thus creating a true WiFi server.

I don't have any idea how well (or if) they work, but thought that it would be an ideal solution for a remote family camp.

19. mramay

mramay Member
    Bronze

My suggestion is that you tether *your* laptop and use a program like Mail2Web. That will let everyone check/respond to their email but only need the one computer on the internet.

www.mail2web.com