Text blocker

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Which iOS version started the tethered jailbreak

Sent using iCafe app
  • The first tethered jailbreak was available for iOS 1.0, then known as iPhone OS 1.0.
  • The first jailbreak ever for the iPhone was released on July 10, 2007, the iPhone having been released on June 29, 2007.
  • The first method to jailbreak the iPhone 3G, the second-generation iPhone, was released on July 20, 2008.
Click here to learn more!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Which iOS version started the tethered jailbreak
It was blackra1n for 3.1.2 in October 2009.

History and explanation:

There was only one time that Apple changed hardware on an iPhone that was already being sold. The 3GS came out in June 2009 and the "new bootrom" models went into production shortly thereafter and came out around September 2009. This was an attempt by Apple to thwart jailbreaking. Since the hardware was changed, the boot portion of the current jailbreaks didn't work on them. 3.1.2 came out in October. People who bought their 3GS' a few months after the phone came out had to boot their jailbroken iPhones from a computer since the untether didn't work on the new hardware. This is known as a tethered jailbreak. We've had some variations of it since then, including semi-tethered jailbreaks.

Arnoldama

Apr 14, 2013
Yes I still can't get it to work. I jail broke the phone once in the past then I did an update and it kicked out an app I had paid for. When I contacted them they said I would have to jailbreak again?

Sent using iCafe app on iPhone

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Yes I still can't get it to work. I jail broke the phone once in the past then I did an update and it kicked out an app I had paid for. When I contacted them they said I would have to jailbreak again?

You have to read carefuly, when you jailbreak, there are warnings on Cydia that tell you not to update, etc. in order to preserve the jailbreak. Yes, you would have to jailbreak again to use any of the jailbreak software as you need Cydia to reinstall.

Arnoldama

Apr 14, 2013
But now when I try to re-jailbreak it won't allow me to do it? Is there a jailbreak software other than the absinthe or pineApple one?