Text Feature Failed To Upgrade

vball5153

Dec 6, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
After a few tries, my 3G seemed to upgrade successfuly. But I now notice that the Messages icon fails to have the SMS across it and I can't reply to texts I've received. Can I upgrade/update/repair just the text feature? Or should I start my 3.0 upgrade all over, and if so, how?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
If you are referring to the icon for messages it doesn't say SMS anymore. As for not being able to reply. Does it give you and red arrow? Or does the progrma not load? Can you be a bit more specific

lhkm

Jun 17, 2009
After a few tries, my 3G seemed to upgrade successfuly. But I now notice that the Messages icon fails to have the SMS across it and I can't reply to texts I've received. Can I upgrade/update/repair just the text feature? Or should I start my 3.0 upgrade all over, and if so, how?
mine did the same thing i don't have the sms across the icon any more, but as of now i can still receive & send text

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
mine did the same thing i don't have the sms across the icon any more, but as of now i can still receive & send text
That's because they changed the icon. You'll also notice it now says "Messages" instead of "Text" underneath it. Just part of the update...

lhkm

Jun 17, 2009
That's because they changed the icon. You'll also notice it now says "Messages" instead of "Text" underneath it. Just part of the update...
thanks for the info!

vball5153

Dec 6, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for your quick response. Specifically, I get a text that starts a NEW conversation. But when I hit "Reply" no keyboard comes up. If I initiate the text, starting with my contacts, the keyboard does come up and I can send. When I respond to the response, the keyboard comes up. However, I just asked someone to send me a New Conversation test. He did, and when I hit Reply, the keyboard won't come up. That's it - unable to respond to some texts. What's up with that?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Thanks for your quick response. Specifically, I get a text that starts a NEW conversation. But when I hit "Reply" no keyboard comes up. If I initiate the text, starting with my contacts, the keyboard does come up and I can send. When I respond to the response, the keyboard comes up. However, I just asked someone to send me a New Conversation test. He did, and when I hit Reply, the keyboard won't come up. That's it - unable to respond to some texts. What's up with that?
Hmm...that sounds very strange. Unfortunately, you cannot just repair a single application. I would recommend restoring the iPhone. Plug it into iTunes and hit the Restore button. Be sure to backup your iPhone so you can reload all your settings/applications, etc.

Let us know the outcome.

vball5153

Dec 6, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I just tried to follow the advice to: "Plug it into iTunes and hit the Restore button." Can't find a Restore choice. Where's it hidden? I remember a Devices choice being there on the left which should lead to iPhone which should take me to Restore. But now I don't see Devices. Thanks for the help you're all providing.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I just tried to follow the advice to: "Plug it into iTunes and hit the Restore button." Can't find a Restore choice. Where's it hidden? I remember a Devices choice being there on the left which should lead to iPhone which should take me to Restore. But now I don't see Devices. Thanks for the help you're all providing.
Yes, correct. You should get a DEVICES label on the left hand side of iTunes. Underneath that you'll see your iPhone and if you click on your iPhone, you'll be presented with the main menu where you'll see the Restore button in the right-hand pane. It sounds like iTunes is not recognizing your iPhone at this point. I would try unplugging your iPhone and restart your computer. Once restarted, open iTunes and plug your iPhone back in, see if it shows up.

If it still does not show up, unplug your iPhone and put it into DFU Mode to prepare for a restore:
http://limitededitioniphone.com/how-to-put-the-iphone-into-dfu-mode/

Let me know...