Text message multiple people issue

philk0731

Feb 2, 2011
If I send a text to multiple people from my iPhone 4 and one of those people texts back to me, it goes to everyone on the list. Is there a way to change this so that their text ONLY goes to me?

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
If I send a text to multiple people from my iPhone 4 and one of those people texts back to me, it goes to everyone on the list. Is there a way to change this so that their text ONLY goes to me?
It only goes to you, not everyone on the list.

Peacekepr

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
It is my understanding that this function is sort of a group chat feature but it is poorly documented.
Take a look at:
Settings/ Messages/ Group Messaging

When you use this feature (setting = ON) when sending an SMS to multiple people it sends a MMS message instead. With this type of message all recipients (with phones that support this function) see who all the other recipients are and when they reply the reply goes to all of them.

To turn this function off and make sure that replies only can go to you, switch the setting for Group Messaging to OFF.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
It is my understanding that this function is sort of a group chat feature but it is poorly documented.
Take a look at:
Settings/ Messages/ Group Messaging

When you use this feature (setting = ON) when sending an SMS to multiple people it sends a MMS message instead. With this type of message all recipients (with phones that support this function) see who all the other recipients are and when they reply the reply goes to all of them.

To turn this function off and make sure that replies only can go to you, switch the setting for Group Messaging to OFF.
You are incorrect. The message only goes to you. I just checked the iPhone User Guide bookmark in safari. You need the group messaging on in order to send to multiple people, but when they respond, it only goes to you.

Sent from my iPhone 4 on AT&T

Peacekepr

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
You are incorrect. The message only goes to you. I just checked the iPhone User Guide bookmark in safari. You need the group messaging on in order to send to multiple people, but when they respond, it only goes to you.
Sorry you are not correct!
It IS a poorly documented feature or ...
dare I say an undocumented "Easter Egg"?

If you send a "Group Message" and the message recipients also have "Group Messaging" turned "ON" when they reply it goes to ALL recipients of the original message.
See other webpages that have documented this ...
http://www.bnet.com/blog/businessstips/iphone-tip-send-text-messages-to-a-group/8629
http://www.moxiemoshow.com/group-messaging-iphone/

I had the same problem a while back and spent quite some time researching it.

Peacekepr

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
Actually you ARE correct about what is in the documentation ...
That's why I went NUTS trying to figure out why multiple people were chiming in on a private (and a bit mean) SMS message that I sent.
After I payed for a few drinks all was forgiven ... LOL

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Actually you ARE correct about what is in the documentation ...
That's why I went NUTS trying to figure out why multiple people were chiming in on a private (and a bit mean) SMS message that I sent.
After I payed for a few drinks all was forgiven ... LOL
Did Peacekepr send a "mean" message? Say it isn't so! ;)