Text Message Show Date and Time for Each Message?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LB56, Jul 1, 2009.

1. LB56

LB56 New Member

Is this possible or is it only when you send a message/receive a message after a period of time? I like on my sidekick 3 and other phones I've used over the years it would show the date and time. I like this so if I am going through old messages it helps me remember exactly when it happened.

2. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

It does this automatically when you pause for a while in between messages.

3. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

I don't know why this isn't an option

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You notice this Thread is 2.5 years old....?

5. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Yeah, I found it in a search and didn't want to start an entirely new thread

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is one of the many reasons a better SMS app is my number one reason to jailbreak. You have the option of adding a timestamp to each message or you can just click on the message to see all the details.

Here is an example of what you see when you click on a message after you've replaced the stock messaging app with iRealSMS:

[​IMG]

7. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

I'm sorry I find it absolutely ridiculous that you have to jailbreak your phone and download a third party application to get something as basic as times stamps

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Sorry but I have got to ask.. Is there ANYTHING that you like about the iPhone, iOS ?

9. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I bet if they did show a timestamp line before every message, you'd find it equally as ridiculous that Apple is taking up so much of the screen to show timestamps. [​IMG]

Although, there are apps that do timestamps well without looking cluttered. Skype's method of displaying timestamps is neat, when it does in fact decide to display timestamps (it doesn't even seem to have a recognizable pattern of timestamps like Messages does)... In Skype, the timestamp shows up in light text on the right side of the message. The only problem is that when it's a full date, the text gets really small. That layout wouldn't work too well for Messages anyway, since message bubbles are on the left and right, and having the timestamp flip around between the left and the right would just look awkward.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Now, now. Remember the last time I said something like that? :D

#10 Napoleon PhoneApart, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013
  11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We do have time stamps. We just don't have time stamps on EVERY message when you're in the middle of a conversation. You'll see one about every fifteen minutes in that case. And you can always see the time for your most recent message when you look at the person's name in your list of texting correspondents.

12. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Yeah I guess I just think it is a pretty important feature and we should at least have the option to turn it on or off. I frequently go back and review conversations and want to be able to see exactly how it went and when each message was sent.

Yeah there are far more things that I like than don't like, I just don't start threads celebrating everything I like about it, so you only see my gripes. I love the phone, and if I didn't think it was so brilliant these pointless flaws wouldn't bother me or even stand out.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sounds like a love-hate relationship. ;)

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Sounds like an abusive relationship!

15. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Sounds like a normal relationship. :)

16. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

Sounds like relations.

Wait... did I over do it? :rolleyes:

17. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I don't believe those fighting dudes have NO ear hair. Must be a retouched photo.

18. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Once it's jailbroken is there any way to simply modify the existing "messages" app without downloading a new one? I like it other than the lack of time stamps, all I really wanted was the option to turn them on. That would make everyone happy!

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, there is a free tweak called xMessages that will add time stamps to all messages.

It's really nice because unlike the BiteSMS time stamps (which include seconds and make the messaging app look cluttered), they look like the stock Apple time stamps. It's also nice how you can easily toggle it off when you don't need to see all time stamps.

20. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Great, thanks that's perfect