Text messages - There for all to see

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dgerson

Nov 18, 2007
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the iPhone displays the contents of text messages as soon as they come in? It can get you into bad situations if your phone is out, on a table, and a message comes in. Its there for anyone to read.
I would hope they add a feature to just show that there is a message, but not to openly display the content.

rr7922

Bronze
Nov 18, 2007
New York
LOL.... Bzpilot - ya took the words right out of my mouth...

I like that feature - it saves you from having to go through other options just to read your message. Thats the point of this phone its to help you function throughout your day quickly and efficiently, LOVE IT!

dgerson

Nov 18, 2007
LOL.... Bzpilot - ya took the words right out of my mouth...

I like that feature - it saves you from having to go through other options just to read your message. Thats the point of this phone its to help you function throughout your day quickly and efficiently, LOVE IT!
Ha, i guess i left myself open for that one! I guess its more of a privacy thing, i don't like people seeing my text messages in general. Im just saying i would like the option to see it or not.

rr7922

Bronze
Nov 18, 2007
New York
Ha, i guess i left myself open for that one! I guess its more of a privacy thing, i don't like people seeing my text messages in general. Im just saying i would like the option to see it or not.
yes your right though it is a privacy thing...If there is a way to deactivate it I would like to know as well. Just for knowing sake...:p

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I like the feature but I can see the arguments against it as well. I really don't care if someone reads my SMS, if they're that nosey then they would have found out one way or another.

theotherallen

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
if you go into the settings, then the password lock, you can turn on the option of not showing SMS previews. The only thing is that you have to turn on the passcode lock

luvmyiphone25

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
lol the other day i was fighting with my mom and i was at work, i left my phone out in the backroom and she sent me a not so nice message and everyone in the backroom read it. lol i really didn't care they read it bc heck if i saw a txt pop up on someone elses phone heck yes i would have read it. but yes you should be able to turn it off.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
in your settings put a passcode lock, and then change the "require passcode" to 4 hours, and turn sms preview off. you'll have to enter your password every once in a while, but maybe it will help your application

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
^^^ That's really good to know, thanks. But there really should be a way to turn that off without requiring password protection.

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
I suppose the simpler solution to the OP's problem would be to keep the iPhone in your pocket and not out on a table where anyone can read your phone's contents (texts may be the least of your problems if someone's jumping into your mail account)!

Personally, I always have my iPhone with me in my pocket. Only at home do I take it out and set it on a table.

Interesting how this progression of technology changes our lives (not always for the good)!