text messaging privacy.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
i know theres a way to turn off the sms preview throught the passcode lock but i was wondering is there ever gonna be a way to turn off the text pop up? yeah..... hmmm

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I asked the same question the other day and didn't get a response, so I am assuming that there is no way.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
damn how the heck did Apple forgot about other people's privacy. :mad:
i'm scared i might get a random raunchy text by some random girl while my gf is using the ipod or watching a movie or surfing the web? anyone feel the same way? :eek:

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
not exactly, but a lot of people always ask to see my phone and I don't like that they could see any of my text messages openly.

jai325i

Jul 26, 2007
i'm scared i might get a random raunchy text by some random girl while my gf is using the ipod or watching a movie or surfing the web? anyone feel the same way? :eek:
LOL I feel the same way, I'm sweatin bullets everytime my gf asks 2 see my phone

DejaBlue

Aug 4, 2007
I totally hear ya... Even though I don't have anything I don't want my girlfriend to see, its just the thought of it could happen especially with all the frickin' people that seem to have my #. I get all nervous whenever anyone for that matter, unless its a close buddy of mine sees my iPhone. You never know what might popup.

rpjk2000

Jul 19, 2007
you guys probably already know this but there is a way to hide the text in the SMS message. if you use the passcode to lock your iPhone you can turn off SMS preview. when you get a message it will just display that you have a text from that person but not the actually message.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
That is a huge hassle. It's not about security, it's about privacy and that is one of the biggest flaws about the iPhone.

Jul 17, 2007
If you go into General>Security>Passcode Lock

You can turn off "Show SMS Preview"

Actually, that only pertains to when the phone actually is “locked” requiring you to input the passcode.

If you’re showing the phone off to some one or it’s set down somewhere and has not locked itself within the set delay time period, all incoming text messages are still displayed for all to see, regardless of the SMS preview setting under passcode lock settings...

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
This is an issue that I was unaware of until now but now I see how important this is. I suggest caling Apple to alert them of this issue so they can implement it into furture software updates.

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
not exactly, but a lot of people always ask to see my phone and I don't like that they could see any of my text messages openly.
same here, i wish you could set a passcode that only locked the sms app. so that everything else worked without having to input a code first but you have to type in a code to open the sms app.