Text messaging?

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
it didn't really say "steve jobs" it would say the persons name... sry if i got you confused

monkeysrock0622

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
yes i think he gets that.. but you can either have it say
Steve Jobs
Text Message
or
Steve Jobs
Hey man how you doing blahblah
Actually no I didn't get that lol...I feel stupid now.

That guy is right though, it should say the name no matter what.

EDIT: I just turned the preview off on mine and it does only say "New Text Message" That is odd. They must have changed it with the update for more privacy.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
I guess but I liked to see who sent me a message

But I guess I'll leave it on for now...
But if I decide I don't like if I'll turn it off I can live without it on

QuE1999

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
... This is also a huge gripe I have. I have passcode lock on now and everytime I get a text I have to unlock my phone and go into texts to see who its from?!?! Why would Apple change that instead of giving the option of leaving the persons name, or just getting 'New Text Message' for all the 'private' iPhoners out there.. The update is great but this is really silly LOL.. I hope they change this immediately this sucks... It's on par with changing what it says when you miss a phone call to, "New Phone Call".. Ahhh geez, people lets write to Apple and get them to fix this... :mad:

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
It's interesting to me that they would choose this as a solution to the virtually nonexistent text messaging security. I suppose, at least, it demonstrates an understanding that there is a problem with the phone in this area. Maybe a better fix is in our future. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
hate it now. "New Text Message'... no sh!t.
Def prefer what was available before.
"Name"
Text Message
That was perfect IMO.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
not txt it but you can email it to a phone and it will come as a MMS or picture mail or whatever that company calls it... AT&T, Verizon work for sure... I sent one to a Sprit customer I'm not sure if they got it or not...

Here is the link:

Modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/mms_email_addresses

Fairy_dust

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
it no longer says there name only "NEW TEXT MESSAGE"
I know exactly what you mean. I noticed the same thing. Why doesn't it say the name anymore? Maybe it's something they've changed in the firmware which really they should have left well alone. If they were gonna mess with text messages they should have made it so that even if the phone isn't locked the msg goes to inbox instead of being displayed.

stevenl

Dec 25, 2008
Not on a stock phone at this time.
Maybe if you jailbreak, don't know.
Thanks very much....just got this phone a couple of days ago and very disappointed that Apple make you buy everything extra such as ring tones etc. Also, there does not seem to be a way to forward photos by text..or indeed anything other that voice data via bluetooth! So far...pretty crap, you may see it for sale on ebay soon!

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
you should have done your research before you got the iPhone. These features have been missing since the first iPhone was released. There is a way to forward text messages by jailbreaking and using Bitesms. If you download it all you have to do is swipe your finger from left to right on the message and a window will pop up asking you to forward, delete, or cancel. Merry Christmas.

jdk2

Bronze
Dec 2, 2008
Stratford, NJ
Before you give up completely, give jailbreaking a try. It really adds many of the things Apple felt we didn't need.

There are a number of tutorials available and it isn't difficult. The phone can be returned to default status through iTunes if you decide you don't like it.