Text Shake to Undo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dallas Phil, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Dallas Phil

Dallas Phil Member
    Bronze

I feel like an idiot, but could someone please tell me how to turn off this annoying shake to undo while texting? Thanks. Have a great weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You can't turn it off, at least from what I've read on a few Apple forums. One of those annoying things ...

3. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

If you're jailbroken, you can use Activator to assign a different function to shaking your device. I have it set to bring up my SBSettings while I'm at my springboard. Pretty handy!

4. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

fearofnormalcy,

Is there an app that merges the Undo function within the Copy/Paste Menu (JB, of course)? I daresay this is how it should behave natively anyway instead of the extremely puerile shaking.

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

That's why I lurk around here... that never even crossed my mind. Going to change a few setting.

6. fearofnormalcy

Gold

Dude, I had Activator-fest last week! Assigned a whole bunch of tasks/apps to tons of different gestures. People only think to use Activator when they get it with an app such as biteSMS, but it works as a great shortcut for ALL your tasks/apps. I've got Notes set to a pinch on my springboard, and my iPod set to open when I tap the center of my Volume pop-up, plus TONS of others. So, so handy!

Watcher: Not sure of a tweak or app that'll do that, but I'll keep my eyes peeled, as I sift through Cydia for about an hour every day! Gotta do something when my 3yr old naps, right? ;)

7. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member
    Gold

I concur. Has anybody else tried shaking to undo an iPad? Talk about feeling like an idiot..

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can assign different functions to shaking the device, but it doesn't disable the stock Shake To Undo feature.
    ShakeToUndo Killer in Cydia. It's free.

9. taurus66

taurus66 New Member

Another reason why I joined this forum, I didn't even know that the iPhone 4 had this feature.

10. JeffreyPooh

JeffreyPooh New Member

i don't understand the issue, isn't there a confirmation to "undo typing"... how often does it come up? are you jogging while texting? lol

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I inadvertently activate it multiple times a day. Having to cancel it all the time is annoying. I'd much rather just disable it since it's a feature I never use.

12. {StatuSChecKa}

{StatuSChecKa} Contributor
    Silver

it came up for me a few times, and those few times are just a nuisance.
    Got rid of it now. JB FTW.

13. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

same here, it happens to me several times a day...so annoying! For the longest time I didn't know what activated it, I finally did a search. Why do they implement so many useless, gimmicky, annoying features?!

Is there a way to deactivate withOUT simply making shake activate something else? Like, why would I want anything to pop up multiple times a day when I don't want it to?!

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, I've used a jailbreak tweak to disable it. It's called ShakeToUndo Killer.

And before you say it, yes, I know you don't think we should have to jailbreak to disable it. ;)

15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I use the shake to undo feature all the time. I do however think Apple should add an Activator type sub-menu into iOS. One less reason to jailbreak.

16. fearofnormalcy

Gold

I was such an enthusiastic young jailbreaker back in 2010...

*sigh*

Memories....

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Heh. Those were the days, huh? I spent countless hours theming back then. I couldn't care less about that now. Now all I want to be able to do is shrink my icons.

18. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I was the same, constantly trying to run a fresh set of icons, wallpapers and widgets. In turn they did nothing but slow my phone down.

I agree, this is another feature which should be added to iOS.

Nowadays I want speed, nothing more. As long as my phone remains as lag free as possible I'll be a happy man.

19. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

LOL! Me too! Patiently waiting for the 4S JB.

20. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Yup! STUkiller (shake to undo).