texting and data plan

Jul 19, 2008
I do not understand why texting is not included in the data plan. it should be unlimited. its ridiculous that you can get great internet access, emailing, ect and not texting. you can freaking EMAIL... but not text? It just seems like another way to get money from us.

can't someone just go on the internet, onto a free texting site, and text someone?

I can't imagine that texting people actually costs att that much money and anyways they are making 30$ from data anways.

the 5$ for 200 texts should be 5$ for unlimated. there were over 1 mil phones sold in the first few days. thats 5 million dollars. if that can't pay for texting machines and services/ servers/ data centers/ ect than they are screwed.

seems odd to me. any feedback/ comments?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
just a way to make money
you can send a free text from your email client

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I know man :(
-If I do decide to go 3G and get the plan I want, with the least amount of minutes and unlimited text would still be over a $100 dollars:mad:

I don't know man. . . :sick:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
sms is a cash cow for all the cell phone companies now. They can't walk away from that kind of money.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
they know that you will pay for it
thats why i don't :)

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I wonder why Att unlimited text is like 20-25 dollars, yet go to T-Mobile and get the same thing for $15 dollars:eek:

I can get 600 minutes with unlimited nights and weekends, along with data and unlimited text at T-mobile for $60 dollars!
-And the Att iPhone v1 lowest plan of 450 min with data and 200 text was $60 dollars:mad:

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
I know this is horribly off-topic, but I just wanted to thank ColsTiger, I'm finding all of the links in your signature -really- helpful.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
ya, but they come in as e-mails... id really just rather have txting on my plan for $30 the whole family has UNLIMITED texting, MMS... Yes you can send MMS if you send it it XXXXXXXXXX@teleflip.com. And when you recive a MMS just right down the user and pass, then download the pic...

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
yes, but from what i've heard, all major phone companies are undergoing a lawsuit for price gauging.

there is little to no costs on texting for texts. the 20 cent per text is pure profit, and so is the 15-20 unlimited txt plans.

we advance so far in technology...only to pay 20 for the ability to text...on a phone. lol.

Jul 19, 2008
I wonder why Att unlimited text is like 20-25 dollars, yet go to T-Mobile and get the same thing for $15 dollars:eek:

I can get 600 minutes with unlimited nights and weekends, along with data and unlimited text at T-mobile for $60 dollars!
-And the Att iPhone v1 lowest plan of 450 min with data and 200 text was $60 dollars:mad:
i got a letter saying the text price for t mobile is going up though :-/

Jul 19, 2008
yes, but from what i've heard, all major phone companies are undergoing a lawsuit for price gauging.

there is little to no costs on texting for texts. the 20 cent per text is pure profit, and so is the 15-20 unlimited txt plans.

we advance so far in technology...only to pay 20 for the ability to text...on a phone. lol.

do you have any more info on the lawsuit?

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
the lack of MMS on the iPhone just shows how little bargaining power AT&T has with Apple.
MMS is a *huge* cash cow for AT&T, but they haven't been able to force Apple to include it yet.

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Isn't there any type of app to be made, or website to be found, that allows the sending and receiving of free txt messages, aside from doing it through AIM or something like that?

I'd like more information on this as well.

EDIT: I went and google'd "free text messaging" and there are plenty of sites that send text messages for free, but I can't think of a way to get around receiving messages for free.

Jul 19, 2008
Isn't there any type of app to be made, or website to be found, that allows the sending and receiving of free txt messages, aside from doing it through AIM or something like that?

I'd like more information on this as well.
thats what i was thinking. why can't a text messaging app be made. I bet that there is someone willing to make an application rather than spend extra money every month.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
thats what i was thinking. why can't a text messaging app be made. I bet that there is someone willing to make an application rather than spend extra money every month.
Might see something like this via jailbreaking, but you will never see it in the App Store.:(

Mrsmaris

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
I think this is totally stupid. I was going to go with my own plan. I switched from tmobile. I had a sidekick lx and I was paying $69 a month for 1000 minutes unlimited nights and weekends, unlimted texting, internet, email, and insurance on the phone. the cheapest way to go for AT&T is getting competely jipped on texts and minutes just to get a better phone. so i went with my moms family plan and in a way thats a lot cheaper for me.