Texting app to non-app users?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by uRabbit, Jan 18, 2012.

1. uRabbit

uRabbit Member
    Bronze

All of the texting apps I have found only allow texting to other users of that same app.

This does not do anything for my wife and I, as we both have iOS 5.

However, we sometimes text people who do not have iPhones. But typically not enough to warrant a texting plan. Yet other months, we do a lot of texting. And, since we are cutting costs wherever we can, we want to do away with unlimited texting.

Any apps that can help us? Either App store or Cydia, as my wife can JB her 3GS on iOS 5.

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I love text plus. I have the free version and it allows me to send and receive texts from anyone.
    I love it for that reason.
    Also allows me to text people with the same app. Great for my friends in Canada.

3. uRabbit

uRabbit Member
    Bronze

textPLUS and SILVER only say "free app-to-app messaging anywhere in the world."

Edit: Ah, never mind! This app works awesome! May buy it. :) Do you ever experience issues with sending or receiving texts or images?

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

It is a little slow at times. Buggy at times. I have the free version and only use it for Canadian friends and girls I don't want to have my real number.

5. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I used Textnow for the longest time before my fiancée got an iPhone, and works flawlessly, you can even get your own number and voice mail and I think 100 free minutes.
    There's a bunch of good ones including text plus.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

[singing]I just want to use your love toniiiight[/singing] :D

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

:) I admit to nothing. Lol ;)

8. uRabbit

uRabbit Member
    Bronze

Haha!

So, I have some... Less-than-tech-savvy friends and family. I have already told them not to text my old number and have given the new one. But I am sure some will still text my old one.

Any way to stop from being charged for that? Maybe I'll downgrade to 200/mo until everyone has it sorted out.

9. Rgn

Rgn Contributor
    Bronze

I myself am also cutting back on costs. I came across Pinger Ex from the app store. It does not require both parties to have the app for it to work. Minimum requirement wi-fi capability for it to work on your end.
    It worked for me it took $20.00 off my bill.
    Changed my mind about some texting apps, they don't always deliver right away I guess it was converting files or something.

love can too little or too much we have to find love that's just right

#9 Rgn, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014