Texting "signature"

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
One more of my newbie posts.

On my old moto pohne, I could designate a "signature" for my text messages.

I've been unable to figure out how to do this with theh 3Gs....Is it like the elusive mms, or have I just missed something?

My simple question:
Can I assign a signature to my text messages with an iPhone, or not?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I always thought the SMS signature was a carrier thing. I could be mistaken but I don't even know that AT&T supports it.

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
Another one of those "later this summer" things, huh?
What is up with AT&T? Are they just so big that they don't care anymore?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Is this a highly demanded request? I get texts all the time from people with sigs and sometimes they can be annoying IMO.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Another one of those "later this summer" things, huh?
What is up with AT&T? Are they just so big that they don't care anymore?
No. SMS signatures was never promised by Apple or AT&T, and isn't coming "later this summer". That's just MMS.

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
Is this a highly demanded request? I get texts all the time from people with sigs and sometimes they can be annoying IMO.
That, was not my question.

I get texts all of the time that are annoying.
Is it "a highly demanded request"?
I have no idea. All that I know is that lots of phones support it (including my last two phones, a Sony, and a moto) both on AT&T!
If you don't want it, don't use it.
It's just that I paid dearly for my 3gs (I was not eligible for an upgrade, and paid the full $400!) I do like my 3Gs very much, but am becoming disallusioned with some of the crippled (or lacking) features.

This did not start out as a complaint, but as a simple question, asking for a simple answer.

If and when AT&T decides to include a signature line with texting, I promise to never text you with it!

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Right Downsized. I don't understand the lack of this feature. It would have been convenient when I changed numbers and sent texts to my contacts to just include my name in the message via signature line.

Ms Cola

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
www.marykay.com
I just sent a text to myself to use as a signature. I know it’s a pain but you can use this as a temporary fix until they decide to allow this feature. When you get ready to send/reply a text you can go to your signature text and copy and place it in the new text before you send/reply.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I can understand a rare need as with new contact info but it uses part of 160 char max for each text. I'm already po'd that the iPhone doesn't have a charafter count. What am I missing here?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I can understand a rare need as with new contact info but it uses part of 160 char max for each text. I'm already po'd that the iPhone doesn't have a charafter count. What am I missing here?
I use Tlert more than the actual SMS app. It has a character count.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I find it just a bit humorous that one would need a synopsis of a <160-character message. I understand that things move quickly in this day and age, but come on...

:)