Thank God for iPhone or else.....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
I would have no computer. I saved up for a long time to be able to buy a new 24" iMac a few weeks ago. I it ran great! The I got leopard in the mail be upgraded the OS. Then I got a new 500gig hard drive to use with time machine. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS NOW. As of Tory I can not even load up the os to do anything at all.

Actually, was having a few freezing problems before today, but then I get home this evening. I saw a software update was available so I clicked install. Now I am stuck in a setup assistant loop. It won't get out of the setup and open leopard. I WAS loving my mac, but I am seriously considering going back to windows now.

I moved from microsoft to avoid this crap, and here I am again.... Same old problems, just a prettier looking paperweight on my desk!

This was typed on my iPhone because my brand new $2,000 mac doesn't feel like working anymore!

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
Okay, I was finally able to reload Leopard. I did an erase and install on it. I then put iLife '08 back on. Here's my problem though (somebody please help me here)......

I have an iWeb page that I need to restore. I had been using Time Machine before my mac took a dump, but I can't find where those files were and have no idea how to restore them. I update my blog daily, but I REALLY don't want to have to rebuild the whole page.

Anyone?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Search your local hdd for your "domain" file.

Google "iweb on multiple computers" and you will find the Apple documentation that will help you out. Once you find that file, just open it up.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Sorry you're having such a bad experience as soon as you get your Mac.

They aren't like that 95% of the time. I've used Macs since '86 and have never had a major issue.

But if I had no reason for a computer, then I would get rid of it. Not because I hate Macs, I love them, but because of the issues that they create.

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
Well, I was finally able to reload Leopard (for the 3rd time). The Domain file was not there so I had to rebuild the entire website. Since I have the 24" iMac I was able to put the site one one side of the screen and the iWeb next to it so I could build it to look the exact same. Was pretty easy but rebuilding the blog has been a pain in the butt.

I do LOVE this computer, was just frustrated with the problems I already had. One thing I noticed is that when it was freezing up, it was usually when going into Time Machine. So far it hasn't happened again. It would be helpful if I knew the key sequences to reboot without having to hold the power button. I had to reboot that way several times before reinstalling the OS.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Sorry you're having such a bad experience as soon as you get your Mac.

They aren't like that 95% of the time. I've used Macs since '86 and have never had a major issue.

But if I had no reason for a computer, then I would get rid of it. Not because I hate Macs, I love them, but because of the issues that they create.
I'm on my 4th 24inch aluminum iMac, so that 95% number is actually a lot lower unfortunately. It seems there was a bad batch of imacs with faulty video cards that slipped through quality control. These macs freeze randomly without warning, and most commonly when running hot. You will notice screen artifacting as a precursor to a video card crash. Typically you'll still be able to move the mouse around...

Apple has finally addressed this issue with system update files specifically for the 20" and 24" imacs, however they do not exactly squash the problem. Whats ironic is that Apple was passing the buck around, first saying it was the software running on your iMac prior to a crash, then the software people started firing back saying they could consistently lock up their iMacs by pushing the GPU. Well AMD/ATI got thrown into the mix and now they're supposedly working on better drivers (still).

My advice, return your iMac asap. You've already fried your logicboard by overheating it and lowering its tolerance points. If you haven't noticed already, you're probably crashing more frequently than before. This is because your video card, or whatever else got too hot has had its tolerancies lowered by hitting their critical point. This will only get worse over time as I'm sure you have discovered.

I'm giving this 4th iMac a week to show its true colors, and if it also exhibits the random freezing it's going back for a refund unless Apple offers to replace the logic board with a new revision which has been said is devoid of the random lockups.

Do yourself a favor and visit the epic 400 post thread on Apple's iMac support forum for more info on this.