Thankyou everythingicafe (DVD to iPhone)

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I wanted to prepare some of my own DVD for my new iPhone. I just recently move to a Mac from PC and always had a nightmare doing this as I never could get one programme that could do it all. Thanks to the forums and more importantly the Search facility I found 'handbrake'. Slot the DVD in, walk away, come back and it done ready to drag to iTunes.

So cool and thanks!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I wanted to prepare some of my own DVD for my new iPhone. I just recently move to a Mac from PC and always had a nightmare doing this as I never could get one programme that could do it all. Thanks to the forums and more importantly the Search facility I found 'handbrake'. Slot the DVD in, walk away, come back and it done ready to drag to iTunes.

So cool and thanks!
Handbrake rocks. Check out MacTheRipper. It basically rips your DVDs to files that allow you to backup your DVD or pull right into Handbrake. So, for example, I recently bought Jericho Season #1. I ripped all 6 of my discs using MacTheRipper. I open each disc in Handbrake and add each episode to a queue. When I'm done, my queue looks like this:
  • Jericho_Season1_Disc1_Episode_1
  • Jericho_Season1_Disc1_Episode_2
  • Jericho_Season1_Disc1_Episode_3
  • Jericho_Season1_Disc1_Episode_4
When I return, I get the "Put the ****tail down" message and just drag those episodes into iTunes. I'm optimizing for AppleTV, but I'm sure they'll still work on the iPhone.

Best of all, these programs are free.;)

Enjoy the switch.....If you feel the urge for a PC, check out VMWare's Fusion or just Bootcamp. Running Windows has never been easier for me and I get the best of both worlds (most of which comes from the Mac world:laugh2:)

-Chris

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree handbrake rocks. I've never had a program easier to convert dvd to iPhone or iPod.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Handbrake rocks. Check out MacTheRipper. It basically rips your DVDs to files that allow you to backup your DVD or pull right into Handbrake. So, for example, I recently bought Jericho Season #1. I ripped all 6 of my discs using MacTheRipper. I open each disc in Handbrake and add each episode to a queue. When I'm done, my queue looks like this:
When I return, I get the "Put the ****tail down" message and just drag those episodes into iTunes. I'm optimizing for AppleTV, but I'm sure they'll still work on the iPhone.

Best of all, these programs are free.;)

Enjoy the switch.....If you feel the urge for a PC, check out VMWare's Fusion or just Bootcamp. Running Windows has never been easier for me and I get the best of both worlds (most of which comes from the Mac world:laugh2:)

-Chris
Chris,

Thanks for that helpful post! One thing... Can you check for me to see if you can sync the movies optimized for Apple TV into your iPhone? The first time I experimented with Handbrake, it would not sync the Apple TV optimized movies into my iPhone, so I have been looking (unsuccessfuly) into how to optimize for both Apple TV and iPhone, because I would not want to have 2 versions of each movie for Apple TV and iPhone.

Also, do you think VM Ware Fusion is better than Parallels?

Thank you.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris,

Thanks for that helpful post! One thing... Can you check for me to see if you can sync the movies optimized for Apple TV into your iPhone? The first time I experimented with Handbrake, it would not sync the Apple TV optimized movies into my iPhone, so I have been looking (unsuccessfuly) into how to optimize for both Apple TV and iPhone, because I would not want to have 2 versions of each movie for Apple TV and iPhone.

Also, do you think VM Ware Fusion is better than Parallels?

Thank you.
No go on the AppleTV format on the iPhone. Tried to sync this very same episode of Jericho and it said "was not copied, as it is no playable on the iPhone". There is a contextual menu in iTunes that allows you to convert a selection. My fear is that it will undo what I've done to get it ready for AppleTV.

I've heard good things about both Parallels and Fusion. I opted for Fusion after reading some speed tests with regards to Vista. Setup was a breeze and I'm very happy with it. Running QuickBooks Pro in Vista on my MacPro desktop. Very nice. My Vista install was done through Bootcamp and Fusion saw the install immediately. Installed VMWare Tools, restarted and then just had to reactivate Vista for Fusion. For some reason, you need to activate both the Bootcamp and Fusion versions -- despite them being the same physical installation.

-Chris

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
No go on the AppleTV format on the iPhone. Tried to sync this very same episode of Jericho and it said "was not copied, as it is no playable on the iPhone". There is a contextual menu in iTunes that allows you to convert a selection. My fear is that it will undo what I've done to get it ready for AppleTV.

I've heard good things about both Parallels and Fusion. I opted for Fusion after reading some speed tests with regards to Vista. Setup was a breeze and I'm very happy with it. Running QuickBooks Pro in Vista on my MacPro desktop. Very nice. My Vista install was done through Bootcamp and Fusion saw the install immediately. Installed VMWare Tools, restarted and then just had to reactivate Vista for Fusion. For some reason, you need to activate both the Bootcamp and Fusion versions -- despite them being the same physical installation.

-Chris
I didn't notice the contextual menu; I will have to experiment with this and see how it does. If you know of any way to use Handbrake to get the same 'rip' onto Apple TV and iPhone, let me know. I still wonder (maybe it would be a good idea) to use Handbrake to encode a version for ATV and iPhone and keep the iPhone versions on an external HDD and then when I want a movie on the iPhone, import it into iTunes (thus have 2 versions in iTunes at the same time) and sync to the iPhone and when I am done with the version on the iPhone, remove the iPhone version from the iPhone and the iTunes library. Does that make sense? Is there a better (easier) way? I am sure someone knows. It seems that when you buy a movie from iTunes, it can be used on ATV and iPhone and I believe the encode is similar to Handbrake's Hi Res iPod, but that will not show up full screen on a 61" TV, which I watch with my ATV.

RE: Fusion: Do you have to install via Boot Camp or can you install via Fusion? Why did you install through Boot Camp? In Parallels, when you install Parallels onto the computer it prompts you to install a version of Windows into the Virtual Machine.

How do you like Vista on Fusion? I used Vista on a windows machine, but it sucked really bad, so at work, I am using Parallels with XP. I wonder about the stability and performance of Vista within a VM on a Mac. My XP install works better than any Windows machine I have ever used! Funny and ironic.

Again, thank you for bearing with me through my long-winded post.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I didn't notice the contextual menu; I will have to experiment with this and see how it does. If you know of any way to use Handbrake to get the same 'rip' onto Apple TV and iPhone, let me know. I still wonder (maybe it would be a good idea) to use Handbrake to encode a version for ATV and iPhone and keep the iPhone versions on an external HDD and then when I want a movie on the iPhone, import it into iTunes (thus have 2 versions in iTunes at the same time) and sync to the iPhone and when I am done with the version on the iPhone, remove the iPhone version from the iPhone and the iTunes library. Does that make sense? Is there a better (easier) way? I am sure someone knows. It seems that when you buy a movie from iTunes, it can be used on ATV and iPhone and I believe the encode is similar to Handbrake's Hi Res iPod, but that will not show up full screen on a 61" TV, which I watch with my ATV.

RE: Fusion: Do you have to install via Boot Camp or can you install via Fusion? Why did you install through Boot Camp? In Parallels, when you install Parallels onto the computer it prompts you to install a version of Windows into the Virtual Machine.

How do you like Vista on Fusion? I used Vista on a windows machine, but it sucked really bad, so at work, I am using Parallels with XP. I wonder about the stability and performance of Vista within a VM on a Mac. My XP install works better than any Windows machine I have ever used! Funny and ironic.

Again, thank you for bearing with me through my long-winded post.
I had ripped a few things for my iPhone, prior to getting AppleTV. Since I had the original rips from MacTheRipper, I was able to create new encoded versions for AppleTV. So, you might want to rip the DVD first using MacTheRipper and then create two different versions when you use Handbrake. Or, you could simply set up 2 queued tasks, one for iPhone and other for AppleTV.

I really enjoy Vista, much more so than XP. Vista is much faster in Bootcamp, but for some reason 32-bit Vista will only see 2GB of RAM on Mac's. Running through Fusion is perfectly fine for Office applications and something like QuickBooks. If I were going to run Photoshop, I'd be hesitant to do so through any virtualization software.

If you have Vista, I think VMWare has a trial available for Fusion. I'd start by setting up shop in Bootcamp and then just allowing Fusion to open your Bootcamp install. The only downside is that you might have to re-activate via a phone call to Microsoft.

-Chris

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I had ripped a few things for my iPhone, prior to getting AppleTV. Since I had the original rips from MacTheRipper, I was able to create new encoded versions for AppleTV. So, you might want to rip the DVD first using MacTheRipper and then create two different versions when you use Handbrake. Or, you could simply set up 2 queued tasks, one for iPhone and other for AppleTV.

I really enjoy Vista, much more so than XP. Vista is much faster in Bootcamp, but for some reason 32-bit Vista will only see 2GB of RAM on Mac's. Running through Fusion is perfectly fine for Office applications and something like QuickBooks. If I were going to run Photoshop, I'd be hesitant to do so through any virtualization software.

If you have Vista, I think VMWare has a trial available for Fusion. I'd start by setting up shop in Bootcamp and then just allowing Fusion to open your Bootcamp install. The only downside is that you might have to re-activate via a phone call to Microsoft.

-Chris
Thanks Chris! I will look into this this weekend.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Handbrake rocks. When I'm done, my queue looks like this:

-Chris
A least you have great taste in shows!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
A least you have great taste in shows!
I'm way behind. I think it was last summer they were replaying Season 1. I watched the first episode and was excited to get caught up. Well, they fast forwarded to something like episode 12 so I opted for the DVD Set. I haven't had a chance to watch it, but I'm looking forward to it. Now that I've got them ripped to AppleTV, it'll make it even easier to bust through them.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, Jericho rocks... wait until you get to season 2.

They almost canceled the show... well, they did cancel it. But thankfully it was resurrected. Everyone I've talked to that's seen the show likes it, so I'm not sure how the ratings were so bad the first season.

I hear that people like me who Tivo shows to watch don't get counted in the ratings. You have to watch it live for it to count. I have no idea how they figure ratings... or how they know my Tivo isn't me watching... but even if I watched it live my Tivo would still be sitting between me and the broadcast and it's a second delayed due to the encoding... Why am I babbling about this? :D