The 1.1.3. jailbreak is a gigantic joke

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
It's been what now? A week since Apple released the 1.1.3. update. At first I was all excited about this new useless Google map locator feature and really wanted it on my phone. I knew someone would come up with a jailbreak within days.

And then came NateTrue with the first release of the 1.1.3. jailbreak. I thought to myself "fianlly"! I wanted to wait at least 1 day before soft-upgrading in order to have feedback on the jailbreak. I guess I was smart enough not to upgrade right away. Then this whole argument between NateTrue and the DevTeam. I was thinking that it kinda sucks if even Apple hackers can't get along with each other but hey, what do I care. Whatever.

Then came the DevTeam 1.1.3. jailbreak which was supposed to be the "real deal". Well, turns out it's barely better than the NateTrue's JB.

Why the hell would I upgrade to 1.1.3. if:
- I can't have my custom springboard anymore with my own icons and more importantly, my own background image
- I can't have google locator, which is the only true value in this update
- I know I'm gonna have issues syncing contacts

So please light my way! What's the point updating to 1.1.3.? I know the workaround for google locator and i know you can run a script to have your contacts sync but why go through so much trouble for so little.

Some of you are gonna attack me saying that the DevTeam and NateTrue did a great job and that it is thanks to them that the iPhone is where it is today. And I will agree with that. DevTeam rules! But it seems to me they rushed to fast into this.

At first, the DevTeam didn't want to release the JB because they didn't want Apple to know its own flaws. But Nate kinda leaked it. And then the DevTeam comes up with a supposedly better solution.... It looks like someone has an ego issue here....

I am not upgrading until someone comes up with a real solution, not just pieces of fixes! I've even seriously considered restoring to a clean 1.1.3. I guess I'll just wait for the long awaited SDK release.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Why the hell would I upgrade to 1.1.3. if:
- I can't have my custom springboard anymore with my own icons and more importantly, my own background image
- I can't have google locator, which is the only true value in this update
- I know I'm gonna have issues syncing contacts
1. Customize just came out with an update today. While I still can't seem to hide my icons, things like changing my slider do work. I'm sure Summerboard will release an update soon too.

2. I used a different tutorial to jailbreak my phone so that it has 1.1.3 baseband. Google Locator works natively (without having to rely on a fix), including Hybrid view. EDIT: this method does still require a MailFix to solve the issue of forgetting Mail passwords, but that is the only issue I've encountered so far. The mailfix was painless to install.

3. The issue with syncing contacts is only if your phone is unlocked.

The only thing I am bummed about is that iTunes rentals do not work. This probably isn't a big deal to most people though. I'm hoping someone will release a fix for it soon.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Can you give us a link to where you did your JB? I have jb 1.1.3 and its ok. The apps are cool but really 1.1.3 is a joke. Apple really gave us nothing.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
1. Customize just came out with an update today. While I still can't seem to hide my icons, things like changing my slider do work. I'm sure Summerboard will release an update soon too.

2. I used a different tutorial to jailbreak my phone so that it has 1.1.3 baseband. Google Locator works natively (without having to rely on a fix), including Hybrid view. EDIT: this method still does still require a MailFix to solve the issue of forgetting the Mail passwords, but that is the only issue I've encountered so far. The mailfix was painless to install.

3. The issue with syncing contacts is only if your phone is unlocked.

The only thing I am bummed about is that iTunes rentals does not work. This probably isn't a big deal to most people though. I'm hoping someone will release a fix for it soon.
Hey Enigmanic, hope you're well. The problem is most people are not computer engineers and this JB and related quick fixes require some skills. I miss the time where you would just go to jailbreakme.com and let it do the job....

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
thanks! Didn't you have to move files around to make some space too?
You do run out of space quickly, so yes you have to create a symlink to move your apps to the media partition (I did it when I was jailbroken on 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 too). BigBoss had made it all very easy with BossTool.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I kinda agree with the OP here in that this jailbreak seems at least to be really messy and fubar compared to the others. I've seen nothing but 'fixes' for this and that on jailbroken 1.1.3 and thereforee have resisted the urge to jailbreak. Usually by now a definitive procedure and guide have emerged but it doesn't seem to have happened. Disappointed but ya get what ya pay for :laugh2:

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
From what I've read on MMi, I think that going to 1.1.3->1.1.1->1.1.2->1.1.3 is going to be the cleanest way to do it. You get the JB and the upgraded baseband.

The only thing not being reported as working is the Mail Password storing.

I think I'm going to give it a shot later tonight. Summerboard will have an update soon, I hope.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
From what I've read on MMi, I think that going to 1.1.3->1.1.1->1.1.2->1.1.3 is going to be the cleanest way to do it. You get the JB and the upgraded baseband.

The only thing not being reported as working is the Mail Password storing.

I think I'm going to give it a shot later tonight. Summerboard will have an update soon, I hope.
You were actually able to get onto MMi? Man, talk about jokes...that site is a big one..it's almost impossible to navigate through that site w/out getting page timeouts.