The 12/21/2012 Thread

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Maybe he did. How do u know. None of us know for sure.
Don't understand why everyone knocks someone for having a belief or an idea. Just cause it isn't yours or you don't believe it doesn't mean it isn't possible or even true. Look at everyone who didn't believe newton.
You're comparing Camping to Newton? You're giving this guy waaay too much credit. You could say Newton's laws were once "ideas or beliefs," but he didn't manipulate people for his own financial gain while proving they were scientific facts. He experimented and proved his theories. He didn't say "believe this because God told me it is so." Camping's doomsday prediction is nothing more than a seized opportunity to prey on the weak and gullible. There is no science involved here, so the two can't be compared.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
Sorry for the rant. I am a true believer in everyone has an opinion and are entitled to it and should and can voice it. You may not agree with said opinion but someone shouldn't be persecuted just because you don't agree with them.
End rant.
:)
So all opinions should be judged equally?

It's not about having respect for someone's opinion whether you agree with it or not. It's about whether someone's actions/intentions are good or bad. In this case, we don't know for sure whether his intentions were actually good or not -- he could have genuinely wanted to warn people or get them to turn their lives around, or he could have just wanted to draw attention to himself, his brand, etc. (or any number of other possible intentions). I suppose we don't know for sure whether the effects of his actions were overall positive or negative, either, because it's possible he really did get some people to decide to change their lives and become better people (though I would argue that convincing someone to follow your religion isn't necessarily a good thing). But he did create a lot of attention, possibly some panic, and we've all heard the stories about the people who really bought into this guy's "opinion" and it has, essentially, ruined their lives.

If you ask me, there is plenty reason for some people to either criticize or ridicule this guy and his opinions/beliefs and the way he went about spreading them.

Nexxus

Bronze
Dec 1, 2007
Nice, what was weird today thou were the strange items sold at yard sales, I saw this guy selling everything from his washing machine to his dog, maybe it's all true after all.
Or maybe he is moving and can't take these items with him. When I moved out of the US everything went, even my animals ( heart broken).

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Or maybe he is moving and can't take these items with him. When I moved out of the US everything went, even my animals ( heart broken).
I was kidding, I didn't take any of this seriously, so for those who wonder, no, you don't fart your soul out before you die.

cindra

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
North Carolina
So all opinions should be judged equally?

It's not about having respect for someone's opinion whether you agree with it or not. It's about whether someone's actions/intentions are good or bad. In this case, we don't know for sure whether his intentions were actually good or not -- he could have genuinely wanted to warn people or get them to turn their lives around, or he could have just wanted to draw attention to himself, his brand, etc. (or any number of other possible intentions). I suppose we don't know for sure whether the effects of his actions were overall positive or negative, either, because it's possible he really did get some people to decide to change their lives and become better people (though I would argue that convincing someone to follow your religion isn't necessarily a good thing). But he did create a lot of attention, possibly some panic, and we've all heard the stories about the people who really bought into this guy's "opinion" and it has, essentially, ruined their lives.

If you ask me, there is plenty reason for some people to either criticize or ridicule this guy and his opinions/beliefs and the way he went about spreading them.
They said on the news today that this guy has predicted the end of the world before...in 1994, I think, so he's got 2 strikes now. He's also in his 80s or 90s, so the end of his world may come before that of the general population's. :whistle:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The thought that all opinions should be respected is one of the silliest things I've ever heard. You have the right to have an opinion, but you don't have the right to impose that opinion on others. Especially if it is detrimental to others or based on zero facts.

Aug 31, 2010
The thought that all opinions should be respected is one of the silliest things I've ever heard. You have the right to have an opinion, but you don't have the right to impose that opinion on others. Especially if it is detrimental to others or based on zero facts.
How is stating an opinion imposing it on others? You don't have to respect anyone's opinion. You should, however, respect their right to voice it.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Who determines if it is detrimental to others or even based on facts? You? Then that would be your opinion on their opinion and we should just disregard that also then. Correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Crappy cell connection, can't tell if the post went through or not. Apparently it did. Trying to delete, having trouble. Feel free to delete two if you like.