The 12/21/2012 Thread

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Europa said:
This wasn't just a harmless opinion Camping had. He's trying to dictate how people live their lives, by claiming we will be punished for our actions, and instill a fear of burning as a result of religious persecution.
Doesn't every church push that every day? How is he different? He just put a date on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
How is stating an opinion imposing it on others? You don't have to respect anyone's opinion. You should, however, respect their right to voice it.
I don't think I said that stating an opinion is the same as imposing it on others.

Incidentally, no, I actually do not think absolute free speech should exist.

Aug 31, 2010
I don't think I said that stating an opinion is the same as imposing it on others.

Incidentally, no, I actually do not think absolute free speech should exist.
What is your definition of imposing an opinion on others then? What is the criteria that makes expression of an opinion cross the threshold from a mere statement to an imposition?

I also do not believe in absolute free speech.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Doesn't every church push that every day? How is he different? He just put a date on it.
I don't want to put words in mindi's mouth, but I think that's exactly what she was implying, but can't actually say due to forum policy.

Anyway, I agree with it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Who determines if it is detrimental to others or even based on facts? You? Then that would be your opinion on their opinion and we should just disregard that also then. Correct?
Government decides the former, individual (unfortunately) decides the latter. So yes, you have the right to disregard my opinion.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
When a consensus is taken of like opinions (as in voting), we wind up electing a person...we seem to have a lot of idiotic people in office...what does that say about the opinions of the people that put them there...just a thought.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
What is your definition of imposing an opinion on others then? What is the criteria that makes expression of an opinion cross the threshold from a mere statement to an imposition
In short: when your words, through ignorance, negligence, or plain old maliciousness, negatively affect others.

Aug 31, 2010
When a consensus is taken of like opinions (as in voting), we wind up electing a person...we seem to have a lot of idiotic people in office...what does that say about the opinions of the people that put them there...just a thought.
It says a lot about the type of people that run for office too. Sometimes the lesser of the evils is your best option.

Aug 31, 2010
In short: when your words, through ignorance, negligence, or plain old maliciousness, negatively effect others.
Those are all very subjective terms though. A person's opinion will always offend at least one other person, due to the complexities of individuality. Is the criteria then when the majority (more than 50%) of people are negatively affected? And by negatively affected, do you mean in their minds or in physical actuality?

I realize that I'm being rather pedantic, but I'm just trying to illustrate that there are opinions on opinions and that it's not quite as simple as saying that opinions should not be "imposed" when they are "detrimental".

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
The courts impose opinions all the time, supposedly based on fact but a quick google will show that many innocent people have been executed based on the opinions of the court...opinions can be a dangerous thing sometimes, yet I wouldn't want them ever taken away from us..but this is just my opinion heh.

Aug 31, 2010
The courts impose opinions all the time, supposedly based on fact but a quick google will show that many innocent people have been executed based on the opinions of the court...opinions can be a dangerous thing sometimes, yet I wouldn't want them ever taken away from us..but this is just my opinion heh.
Agreed!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Those are all very subjective terms though. A person's opinion will always offend at least one other person, due to the complexities of individuality. Is the criteria then when the majority (more than 50%) of people are negatively affected? And by negatively affected, do you mean in their minds or in physical actuality?

I realize that I'm being rather pedantic, but I'm just trying to illustrate that there are opinions on opinions and that it's not quite as simple as saying that opinions should not be "imposed" when they are "detrimental".
I was trying to be brief regarding a subject which, as you are correctly pointing out, is hugely complicated. tons of grey area, and not really possible to cover completely without writing a book or ten.

Anyway, that was a tangent, admittedly caused by me, to my original point: a claim based on mythical stories doesn't deserve respect. Anyone foolish enough to believe the 5/21 BS deserved whatever happened to them. Social Darwinism in action.

Aug 31, 2010
I was trying to be brief regarding a subject which, as you are correctly pointing out, is hugely complicated. tons of grey area, and not really possible to cover completely without writing a book or ten.

Anyway, that was a tangent, admittedly caused by me, to my original point: a claim based on mythical stories doesn't deserve respect. Anyone foolish enough to believe the 5/21 BS deserved whatever happened to them. Social Darwinism in action.
Fair enough! I like a good debate so I played right into your tangent for the sake of debate :p

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I feel like a fool. I guess I will have to call my work and say I will be there tomorrow morning.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I request that as soon as 2012 comes... no actually when 11:59 Dec 31st 2011 comes this thread be locked and deleted.