The "3G Phone Reception Poll"

3G Phone Reception as a Phone...

• Total voters

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Wondering if people might voice their opinion and experience so far with new 3G Phone reception. Please vote in the poll. Check all that apply.

I'm talking about the reception for calls not anything to do with Internet browsing. Just how well the phone performs as a phone....

Comments are certainly welcome.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Reception is definitely not on par with my other 3G phones. Although it seems strange, it appears my receptiuon is growing better as I now have 3-4 bars where as the first couple days I was getting 1-3 bars?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Last night I did the litmus test in the local Wally Mart. Where I would have 1 bar or no signal with V1, I had 2-3 bars with 3G. At home where V1 struggles to hold a call, so far it's smooth sailing with 3G - although I haven't used it enough at home to call it a definitive improvement.

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
I am certain that receptions is better for me. I do not have 3G yet where I am, so that is not a factor for me.

I have a hard time getting reception at my desk at work. With the V1 - would hang at around 0 - 1 bars, dropping service pretty often. With the 3G in the exact same spot, I get a consistent 1 - 2 bars and don't seem to drop service.

Also, with the V1, in order to take a call, I would have to walk about 30 feet from my desk before answering, otherwise, the call would drop 90% of the time. With the 3G, I can take the call at my desk and only drop the call maybe 20% of the time.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
My bedroom is a place famous for dropping calls. None yet. So far I'm happy with call reception. Just make sure you get a case that doesn't block the proximity sensor (e.g. DLO Jam Jacket).

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Bars are not a good measuring device of reception.

2-3 bars of 3g (UMTS) > 4-5 bars of GSM

Measure by how clear your calls are. there was always choppyness and echos in my calls with the v1 iPhone. Calls seem to be much more clear with the 3G so far.

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
It's strange..because Friday..the recption was pretty good at home. Now, when I am at my desk at work I have 1-2 bars when my v1 had 5 bars...the calls are a little choppier now too with the 3G...

I'm actually exchanging my 8G for the 16G when my AT&T store get some in so hopefully a new phone will clear that up..

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Measure by how clear your calls are. there was always choppyness and echos in my calls with the v1 iPhone. Calls seem to be much more clear with the 3G so far.
I'm finding about the same so far - at both ends of the call from what I'm told by my wife and others who sometimes complained about call quality on the V1 ...

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
I have had nothing but problems with the 3G reception. From voicemails just appearing, to dropped calls, to not being able to dial out.

I have been an ATT customer since just after Cingular and have had 3G phones since day one, with the exception of my most recent BB curve which was used due to me having all other 3G smart phones and basically a hold over until the iPhone 3G came out.

Never had any 3G problems till the 3G iPhone came out.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
In Lubbock where i live they just got 3g active last week. when outside i almost always have 5 bars on 3g but the thing i have noticed is that even when i have 1 or 2 bars i don't have problems with calls where my V1 would have dropped the call.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
so, how about this myth of the plastic back used for better reception?

busted?

flipper421

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Oregon
I have yet to have a dropped call w/3g

Call clarity and volume is excellent. iPhone simply has the smoothest interface for placing and receiving phone calls I have ever seen. I'm totally sold on it.

BLIK

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I am Happy and my 3G works Awesome as a PHONE