The 5S processor.. Is it really faster?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by flatbacks21, Jan 7, 2014.

1. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

I have purchased the 5S and have tested the alleged speed against my wife's I5 and there doesn't seem to be much difference. I have done the safari test with both having similar results. Not as many hiccups between apps, but it just doesn't seem right. Is there any way to check to make sure the processor is running efficiently? Could my restoration to my old I5 data when I connected to iTunes cause this lag? I guess I am confused b/c I thought this phone would cruise a bit faster. Of course, it says a lot about the I5 and it's processor. Thoughts?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There isn't any noticeable difference between the two with most apps. You might notice a slight difference with graphically-intense games.

3. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. Not a big gamer, but like I said, seems to be less "hiccups" or "lag" going between apps. I am pleased with the battery life. My I5 never made a smooth transition to ios 7 battery consumption. 6 hours of use at best.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

On a related note, there's intention lag (animations) on iOS 7. There is no setting to completely disable them on a stock iPhone (reducing animations doesn't disable them), but you can do it with jailbreak tweak. You can switch between apps instantaneously and see how fast the processor really is after doing this.

5. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

I'll have to look into the jailbreak.. It still is very smooth regardless. I just want to make sure I am getting the most out is my phone..

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The iPhone has been smooth since 2007. It's never been jerky. It's just that we have to wait on the phone while it does these needless animations unless we jailbreak and disable them.

7. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

@Europa what's the name of the tweak?

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

HiddenSettings7.

Here are the directions for disabling the lock/unlock fades. The open/close app animations can be disabled with these settings:
    image.jpg

9. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

10. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

I do notice a difference from the 4S I gave my daughter my last iPhone I took an Android ride and came back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

And I notice is faster than the note 2 and the Htc one hands down,the screen size I'm finally used to and I stopped swiping lol I love both BUT ios apps are way better and I just have a preference to iPhone/iPad it just works for years vs just two

12. greenfrog42

greenfrog42 New Member

Until all of the apps are 64 bit you will not see much of a difference.

13. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

No not much