The accelerometer has been tuned.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Was walking with the S today and noticed the a-meter definitely is less prone to not being able to orient the screen while the phone is in motion. There used to be posts about people's phones that would not turn from landscape to portrait and vice versa. This was usually because they were walking with the phone or something of the sort.

Now the screen will turn instantly up to the point of me actually shaking the phone. This is an improvement but takes some getting used to how sensitive it is now.

Side note.

Battery is gonna take a few charges to 100% activate all the cells. Same way the 3G did. I'm at 25% in 12 hours of very light casual use.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yeah I noticed that too. I played with it at the ATT store and was surprised at how fast it switched to landscape. Everything is quicker now lol.

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
As far as the battery goes people, let it drain almost all the way and then do a full charge. Do this a few times in order to properly condition the battery.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
As far as the battery goes people, let it drain almost all the way and then do a full charge. Do this a few times in order to properly condition the battery.
Not necessary with the lithium polymer type batteries in iPhones and most other phones these days. For some more info on these and other batteries in general, I like to go to www.batteryuniversity.com Lots of good reading and knowledge. I've posted it here before.

Just don't let the phone sit on a charger all day. Unplug it frequently and use the cells in the battery, and top off to 100% frequently for a couple weeks to ensure all cells are active. This is when the battery life improves and all cells can hold a charge.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just don't let the phone sit on a charger all day.
Why is that bad? These batteries can't overcharge. If it's ok to leave it for 8 hours, it should be ok to leave it for 24.

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
I was just about to start a thread about the battery life as it definitely isn't improved but I thought something like a few charges would get it to its full state. I'll just keep letting it get to nothing then charging and it should be fine in a few days.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Why is that bad? These batteries can't overcharge. If it's ok to leave it for 8 hours, it should be ok to leave it for 24.
It doesn't have to do with overcharging which of course with protection circuits in the battery you can't do.

It's more to do with letting the cells be used and kept in a state of flux so that they don't sit dormant.

I liken it to holding your breath for a long time versus breathing in and out. Your lungs do better when there is constant O2 exchange to wash out CO2. It's just the visual I think of when this subject comes up.

My MacBook Pro accomplishes this by being plugged in, but letting the battery drain to about 95%, then topping off to 100%, and repeating the cycle. The iPhone, on the other hand, doesn't seem to do this and will stay charged at 100% for as long as the phone is plugged in.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I was just about to start a thread about the battery life as it definitely isn't improved but I thought something like a few charges would get it to its full state. I'll just keep letting it get to nothing then charging and it should be fine in a few days.
The 3G did the same thing out of the box as the 3Gs is doing. It took a couple weeks of just using the phone and topping off the battery whenever I had a chance but not leaving the 3G on the charger all day.

After a couple weeks, I easily had well over half the battery life left from a normal day of use. That same normal day of use on the 3Gs today yielded about 25% life left.

It's great to have the % indicator, because now everyone can get more detailed info on their battery life. I'm sure in a couple weeks I'll be back up and then some where my 3G used to be. Especially considering Apple is touting better battery life in the the S.