The aesthetics of the iPhone 4

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Well I went from the 3g to the iPhone 4 and the difference is amazing. I am glad I did. I am however disappointed in the aesthetics of the new iPhone. It looks and feels like the Honda Element compared to a Ferrari. I guess had I not been so taken by the original design I would not be so disappointed in it's physical appearance. The engineers must have won over the designers. lol

dawiyo

Bronze
Dec 2, 2007
Bel Air, MD
www.pier23studio.com
I know what you mean. I LOVED the aluminum back to the 2G and was disappointed with the plastic back of my 3GS. This is a great mix even though the sides are made of SS.

iTim

Bronze
Mar 21, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Personally I think it is the best looking iPhone yet. Looks and feels great. The 3g/3gs felt a little cheaply made. Just my opinion though.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
The iPhone 4 feels substantial and reeks of quality, the antenna issue aside. Design wise I like the curves of the previous models. The new design certainly has had no negative effect on sales and didn't keep me from buying it.

CamXCollins

Bronze
Jun 4, 2010
The iPhone 4 feels so solidly built when in hand. I think it is absolutely gorgeous. So simple and elegant.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I love the sharp, clean lines of this phone. I think the brushed metal looks much classier than the shiny chrome and the glass back, while terrifying from a breakage standpoint, looks so much richer than plastic. When I moved from my v1 to the 3g, I thought it appeared bloated by design and was disappointed that they stuck with it for the 3gs (though I still bought one). Ultimately, it's just a matter of personal taste. :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh boy, I have a hard time conjuring up a more beautiful smartphone. This is definitely a different strokes sort of situation, methinks. But what do I know... I drive an Element and love that thing to death, too. :eek:k:eek:k

I opened up my 3GS one last time before it goes off to an eBay buyer tonight and that suddenly got a LOT uglier. My V1 still looks kinda sexy, but this 3GS looks like a cheap shoe to me now. It was still an awesome phone.

iTim

Bronze
Mar 21, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Oh boy, I have a hard time conjuring up a more beautiful smartphone. This is definitely a different strokes sort of situation, methinks. But what do I know... I drive an Element and love that thing to death, too. :eek:k:eek:k

I opened up my 3GS one last time before it goes off to an eBay buyer tonight and that suddenly got a LOT uglier. My V1 still looks kinda sexy, but this 3GS looks like a cheap shoe to me now. It was still an awesome phone.
I completely agree with you. While I loved my 3g/3gs, they in no way compare to the looks/feel of the 4. (by the way, my partner drove a Element for 3 years and still misses it).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The Element is a wonderful vehicle. It's really hard to find an owner who doesn't love theirs. I used to hate the styling, but even that has grown on me very much. Not a fan of the plastic panels, but mine doesn't have those. :)

Ok, back on topic..

iTim

Bronze
Mar 21, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
The Element is a wonderful vehicle. It's really hard to find an owner who doesn't love theirs. I used to hate the styling, but even that has grown on me very much. Not a fan of the plastic panels, but mine doesn't have those. :)

Ok, back on topic..
Plus, you can just hose it out if it gets dirty inside. LOL.

Okay, now back on topic.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Plus, you can just hose it out if it gets dirty inside. LOL.

Okay, now back on topic.

I'm sorry, I can't let that one go. NEVER HOSE OUT THE INTERIOR OF AN ELEMENT. There are vents in the floor that lead to electronics and a lot of heartache. You can go heavy with the bucket and sponge, but NO HOSES.

Ok, now back on topic. :)

iTim

Bronze
Mar 21, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm sorry, I can't let that one go. NEVER HOSE OUT THE INTERIOR OF AN ELEMENT. There are vents in the floor that lead to electronics and a lot of heartache. You can go heavy with the bucket and sponge, but NO HOSES.

Ok, now back on topic. :)
Really laughing out loud. :)

guest009

Jun 17, 2010
Initially I was perturbed at the Gizmodo pics. But that all changed the day that I saw someone with one and got to actually see it in person.

I blame that soul for the sleep I lost.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I love the build quality and design of the 4. I never liked the look and cheap feel of the 3G/S, but it sure felt good to hold, much more so than the 4. I think the 4 is beautiful but it is hardly ground-breaking design. At home I look over at my cheap Motorola cordless landline phone and it's black with a silverish band around the perimeter. I look at my Philips clock/radio/iPhone dock and it's black with a silverish band around the perimeter. These existed before the iPhone 4 so the iPhone 4 is clearly just riding a particular design wave, not making one. That said, the iPhone 4 is clearly the best expression of that design motif that I've seen yet.

Unfortunately making the back of the phone of glass was clearly just slavishly following that motif while trying to maintain the "quality" feel of the materials (ie no plastic) which is part of the aesthetic. Making the back of plastic, stainless or some other more durable material would have made much much more sense, but would have messed with that aesthetic concept (I'm assuming with the external antenna a metal back would have been feasible). No, clearly the designers won over the engineers in that area.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I am clearly in the minority here, 'Vive la difference'.:) Where did the rumor start that you could actually hose out the interior of the element. I had always heard that but was skeptical.