The Alleged 5.5" iPhone Could Be A Seriously Large Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

In this video, among other things, the 5.5" iPhone mockup is compared to the smaller Note 3 and LG 3 phones. As the mockup sits, would it be too big for most people? Should Apple shrink the top and bottom front pieces?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

As they say, the bigger the better, in technology. And it's true. My mom went from her iPhone to a galaxy phone. For some reason she loves it more for the bigger size and it's easier getting around on it. As for me, the size of the new iPhone will be a big decision.

3. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

The 5.5 looks a bit on the gargantuan size. It would be great to watch videos on a screen that big, but it would be tough to carry it in my pocket. I would love to see the bezel tapered down a bit as well.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I recently bought new shorts and the pockets aren't as big. My current iPhone 5 fits fine in it, but I'm not sure if the 5.5" would lol. But as I said I love the latest and the greatest!

5. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

well my daily driver right now is a note3 and there really is so many advantages over having a bigger phone than a smaller one. the only thing a smaller phone has to it's advantage is the size and that's it. every other advantage goes to the bigger phone. everything from surfing, playing games,spread sheets,texting etc.. is just much more enjoyable. just think about it no matter what you do on your phone you have to use the screen. with so many positives I can live with just 1 negative. and i also like that they are offering more than just 1 size fits all. i think different sizes is a very good thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I wouldn't mind looking at the 5.5" first. It's hard to know until it's in the hand. I don't worry about one handed use. I use two hands mostly anyway. But pocket ability is important to me. I'll be using a case. Most likely an Otterbox. The case may make it too big for my pockets. IDK. Price will also be a factor for me. I want at least a 32 gb. My budget for the next year will be tight. I've much to take care of that's actually more important than a new iPhone. :eek: So money will be in the decision process. At this point, it's the 32 gb 4.7" model.

7. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Bigger is not always better and certainly not always faster. Personally, I would like to see more slim line models instead of going big, let's go small when it comes to form-factor.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Why not have three options and give people a choice? They can maximize sales that way. Pocketability and single-handed usage aren't the top priorities for everyone. I just hope they don't make it so thin that battery life is compromised. I doubt they would do that, though. Battery life is a top priority for pretty much everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, I'm all for giving people a choice. I think choice is good except when you have too many choices and it's just too overwhelming for the consumer to decide. There is still a lot of work to be done in the battery life area and I hope that we see the battery life improve considerably in the next update.

10. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

I thought for sure a 4.0 and a 5. I'm all for the bigger size (Def considering it), but I can't believe they left the small screen completely out.

They'll both sell millions.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

We don't actually know anything for certain until the September keynote.

12. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

I am actually looking forward to the "That's ridiculous! (in a good, funny way) factor of the alleged 5.5" iPhone. I tinkered with my brother's 5.5" LG, and it was nice being able to see stuff without having the phone so close for a change. ;)

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm just hoping that the actual 5.5" iPhone 6 (should it actually exist) will have a slightly better casing to screen ratio. The LG and the S4 and S5 did a pretty good job keeping the total bulk down.

14. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

The only thing that bothers me about the Note 3 is that the home screen is just exactly the same as smaller devices, just blown up, it's still just a 4 x 4 icon grid! With a screen that size I want more on it.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'd definitely want at least one more column of icons and possibly smaller icons on the iPhone 6.

16. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

not ture there are many launcher apps that will allow you to go beyond the 4x4 screens nova launcher is one that comes to mind.

Attached Files:

• 4x4.jpeg
      4x4.jpeg
      File size:
      118.4 KB
      Views:
  17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The Nova launcher ruled on my HTC One.

18. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah with Android you can change your launcher of course. I just hope Apple get it right with iPhone. That's IF we do see a "phablet" sized iPhone.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This video addresses the need for Apple not to make just an upscaled iPhone 5s, but an iPhone with smaller bezels.

20. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I would love to see a smaller bezel and dare I say possibly consider the 5.5 if the bezel was highly trimmed down.