The Alleged 5.5" iPhone Could Be A Seriously Large Phone

Hufflledy

Jun 25, 2014
I hate this size. It is too big for me. I love the size of the old iPhone 3gs and 4, because it fits in every pocket. But live and let live ...

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I hate this size. It is too big for me. I love the size of the old iPhone 3gs and 4, because it fits in every pocket. But live and let live ...
You're not alone. There's still a lot of users who prefer the 3.5" screen 4/4s iPhones. Which iPhone do you use?

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I can see Apple abandoning the 3.5" screen and "forcing" old school holdouts up to the 4" screen 5/5s, but I seriously doubt they'd abandon the 4" screen just yet. My 5s is just as easy to carry/pocket/use as my 4s was. We'll see just how much bigger in real life the 6 (4.7") turns out to be compared to the 5-series. That looks like my sweet spot, but I want to at least see/fondle the 5.5" model. Make no mistake - it's the size of the Samsung Galaxy Note. We're talking major "phablet" stuff here.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I can see Apple abandoning the 3.5" screen and "forcing" old school holdouts up to the 4" screen 5/5s, but I seriously doubt they'd abandon the 4" screen just yet. My 5s is just as easy to carry/pocket/use as my 4s was. We'll see just how much bigger in real life the 6 (4.7") turns out to be compared to the 5-series. That looks like my sweet spot, but I want to at least see/fondle the 5.5" model. Make no mistake - it's the size of the Samsung Galaxy Note. We're talking major "phablet" stuff here.
homer.jpg

It's rare I try to single-handle a phone. I just never have. I keyboard with two thumbs up, and that's my review of a 5.5" phone. I've been playing with the Samsung Mega at 6.2" and I'm comfortable with it. There's one word for a serious option were Apple to never offer a larger screen: Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
I'm really hoping the 5.5 doesn't have a large frame, I will definitely buy it if it's not huge.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
The 5.5 looks a bit on the gargantuan size. It would be great to watch videos on a screen that big, but it would be tough to carry it in my pocket. I would love to see the bezel tapered down a bit as well.
Not so sure it wouldn't fit in standard jeans pockets. Shorts might be a problem but I've had no problem carrying my Note 3 in my pocket.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Not so sure it wouldn't fit in standard jeans pockets. Shorts might be a problem but I've had no problem carrying my Note 3 in my pocket.
I like for my phone to go down in my pocket. I don't want it sticking out or making a tight fit. I want it loose in my pocket. If I decide on the 5.5", I'll need Cargo Pants.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I like for my phone to go down in my pocket. I don't want it sticking out or making a tight fit. I want it loose in my pocket. If I decide on the 5.5", I'll need Cargo Pants.
It is said that guys pants pockets are bigger than women's. And I now see that's true as I have sisters and friends who have told me this. But anyways, did you say if you've tried putting a bigger device in pocket?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
It is said that guys pants pockets are bigger than women's. And I now see that's true as I have sisters and friends who have told me this. But anyways, did you say if you've tried putting a bigger device in pocket?
I have not yet done that.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
May sound odd, but go to a phone store and try the Note 3 for size. They may look at you funny with a tether attached but say you are checking it out for fit.

I did that.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I am actually looking forward to the "That's ridiculous! (in a good, funny way) factor of the alleged 5.5" iPhone. I tinkered with my brother's 5.5" LG, and it was nice being able to see stuff without having the phone so close for a change. ;)
Difference is the iPhones 5.5 will be bigger because of the bezel size. LG uses more screen and less bezel.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I have an iPad still but moved over to a Galaxy Note 3 in part as I'm in the camp of having wanted a larger screen. I need glasses for up close and couldn't even take a passing glance at an iPhone screen without glasses. With my Note, I can do some glances without pulling out my reading glasses which is convenient. I also in general like viewing things on a larger screen. To each his/her own and Apple will offer either option to that end.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Difference is the iPhones 5.5 will be bigger because of the bezel size. LG uses more screen and less bezel.
Well, seeing as how the iPhone 6 hasn't been released yet, we don't really know. :)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well, seeing as how the iPhone 6 hasn't been released yet, we don't really know. :)
I imagine he's probably right, though. In any event, I borrowed a friend's 6" LG Flex to slip into my pocket while standing and sitting. No problems. Bring on the Mega-iphone Air Super Plus.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I was on the fence about deciding between the 4.7 and the 5.5 (if it even exists), but after holding a Note 3 I don't think I could go with a 5.5 inch iPhone.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I was on the fence about deciding between the 4.7 and the 5.5 (if it even exists), but after holding a Note 3 I don't think I could go with a 5.5 inch iPhone.
I've decided I really want the 5.5" model. My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but I can live with that. I am crazy.