The anti MMS thread.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I could care (as well as couldn't care less) about MMS capabilities on the iPhone. I use email. It's included in the unlimited data plan. If you don't have a texting/messaging plan, you'll be charged individually for each MMS.

AT&T was not ready because iPhone use already overloads the carrier and is the reason for dropped calls and spotty service. Because the iPhone UI is so great, it's used more for data than other phones. It's usage strains AT&T's network, hence the MMS delay. An earlier release would have only made it worse. Allowing Skype and Slingbox on 3G would have had the same effect.

Instead of spending the last year complaining about not having MMS, I spent time talking friends into getting iPhones...so they can just email.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Personally, I wouldn't be sending a lot of pics. never did. But for God's sake it would be nice to receive them without having to perform some obscene username and password setup on a page that Fails more times than it works.
Scenario: someone sends me a picture. I get notified, open my SMS/MMS conversation, and should be able to see the pic. PERIOD.
What I end up having to do is click the link to that crappy ATT site, and once it's loaded, go back to the message, act like I am going to forward it so I can copy the username, go back to the webpage, paste the username, go back to the text, act like I am forwarding the message again, copy the password, go back to the website, paste the password, and then hope that nothing goes wrong and that the pic will actually load.

friggin ridiculous.

I wouldn't think MMS was necessary if EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD DIDN"T USE IT. Steve Jobs not only dropped the ball on this, but kicked it into a very busy street.
September 25, and we are finally catching up with the rest of the cellular community...

Nooo... I'm not bitter about it..

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Scenario: someone sends me a picture. I get notified, open my SMS/MMS conversation, and should be able to see the pic. PERIOD.
What I end up having to do is click the link to that crappy ATT site, and once it's loaded, go back to the message, act like I am going to forward it so I can copy the username, go back to the webpage, paste the username, go back to the text, act like I am forwarding the message again, copy the password, go back to the website, paste the password, and then hope that nothing goes wrong and that the pic will actually load.
And trying to do this before the cut and paste update

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Getting MMS is going to be awesome. Complaining about not having MMS or how crappy AT&T and/or Apple are as a result is ooooold and laaaaaame. Time to move along.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Last edited by a moderator:

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
The novelty of MMS will wear off a week or so after it is released and then people will find somthing else to complain about.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
FYI- had MMS since the release of 3.0

Needless to say, I still prefer to email even though MMS costs 3 of my inclusive message allowance.

Email is most certainly my primary method of sending pictures.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The novelty of MMS will wear off a week or so after it is released and then people will find somthing else to complain about.
So true.....

rarity

Bronze
Nov 9, 2008
Sunshine State
I can't wait to try it. It's been so long it seems. Agree that non-iphone friends can finally show me pics.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Prior to my iPhone purchase...It had been a VERY long time since I had a cell phone that didn't have mms. I do not find mms a novelty, I'm glad the novelty of not having mms is about to wear off.

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
I could care (as well as couldn't care less) about MMS capabilities on the iPhone. I use email. It's included in the unlimited data plan. If you don't have a texting/messaging plan, you'll be charged individually for each MMS.

AT&T was not ready because iPhone use already overloads the carrier and is the reason for dropped calls and spotty service. Because the iPhone UI is so great, it's used more for data than other phones. It's usage strains AT&T's network, hence the MMS delay. An earlier release would have only made it worse. Allowing Skype and Slingbox on 3G would have had the same effect.

Instead of spending the last year complaining about not having MMS, I spent time talking friends into getting iPhones...so they can just email.
Bad site to start an anti MMS thread. Everyone here (except u, apparently) wants it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Gimme a few days, and write up the first draft of The MMS Proliferation Act of 2009.