The Apple TV2 is the coolest gadget I have bought in years!

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
I am a Microsoft guy. Windows 7, Windows Home Server, xbox 360. These have all been key components in my whole house audio. But it is a pain to go turn on the xbox, or pc in order to que up music.

I have had 1st gen, 3g, now iPhone 4 (as has my wife). When I plugged in the Atv2 into my stereo and network, everything just worked. Period. very little fussing around.

So my setup is this.

dual band g and n wireless router
wired - Windows home server (590 gigs of music, 120 gigs of video)
wired - Desktop Windows 7 (iTunes library 1)from server
802.11 g - Laptop Windows 7 (iTunes library 2) from server
802.11 n - Apple TV2

with either my iPhones or Apple tv2 or either pv iTunes, i can send music and video anywhere i need to in my house. The folks with connection issues, i don't get it. My setup is by far a basic setup, and it was basically plug and play.

As I said, I am not an "Apple" guy, but this device just works.

This helps clear the way with the wife to get an iPad this summer when I break, er I mean our laptop starts acting up again.

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I just got one today too (my original Apple TV finally bit the dust. Because the new Appletv doesn't have any onboard storage, i will have to rely on airplay to play videos at my friends' places. I was skeptical with how well airplay would work - would HD video stream smoothly from my iPad? Woe my iPad be usable whilst streaming video? Etc.

I just plugged it all in and it's works better than I could have imagined. Totally seamless so far.

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
yes greenpoin0n did JB the ATV2, but that was on the old FW 4.0 (a.k.a. iOS 4.1) but if your device has AppleTV 4.1 (iOS 4.2.1) then no, not at the current moment. Seas0npass will JB it, but it is only a tethered JB, and i think it is only for Mac right now.

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
My review is simple.
If you currently do not have a way to watch Netflix streaming or content from your computer you will love it. If you don't have a way to rent shows/movies on your TV it will add even more functionality.

If you already have those abilities it's just a nice interface and eliminates some wires and nothing more.

imotionb18

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Houston, Tx
I love my Apple tv. I've got everything networked through an Apple airport extreme. It's even better now that imam able to use airplay with airvideo. Perfect set up imo.

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Now have an iPad2. The Apple tv gets better and better. I am 100% happy. Buying a second one for the tv upstairs.