The best iPod we've ever created

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
The convergence wins it for me, but if it's strictly ipod vs. ipod I'd say this:

iPhone:

Bad:
1.) THE JACK ISN'T COMPATIBLE. Biggest no no for me cause I like to bring my music to a party and just plug in a song to the speakers...now I have an adapter :sick:

2.) Small storage space

Good:

1.) Extremely easy to navigate and find music

2.) GORGEOUS SCREEN

3.) Longer battery life

4.) Ability to pause and skip using supplied small earbuds

Who agrees on the headphone thing....I think it really hurts it?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
But can't you drag/drop music/movies around in iTunes for your iPod? The only way to specify which music/movies get put onto the iPhone is to create a playlist first. I was under the impression that the ipod doesn't suffer from this limitation. That you could just drag what songs/movies you wanted for the iPod. Is this not true?
No this is not true. The iPhone is capable of "sync selected items only" as is the iPod. What you have written is not true.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
No this is not true. The iPhone is capable of "sync selected items only" as is the iPod. What you have written is not true.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

So, what I am hearing from everybody is that despite:
  1. smaller capacity (meh - 8GB is enough. ?)
  2. fewer file formats (irrelevant)
  3. recessed jack (wait for new headphones)
  4. lack of accessories (wait awhile)
The improved GUI, the sharp wide screen, touch screen, and the phone/internet MORE than make up for the deficiencies and you proudly proclaim that indeed! The iPod on the iPhone is absolutely the best one that Apple's made to date?

Well, that's really nice isn't it?

Thank you for enlightning me. I really started this thread off expecting something else. I appreciate the encouragement.

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
Certainly if you want video it's the best iPod ever made aside from capacity. Even for music I find it much much easier to search around and try random things on the iPhone.

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
I can definitely say it is the best i have owned.. I had a Gen I white iPod and then 2 Nano's, this hooks up to my car adapter like the rest but is much easier to navigate with just one finger tapping! :sick:

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
IMO, this is the best ipod ever made. I had no use for the original ipod but the iPhone is the only gadget I need. Its my ipod, movie player, phone, maps for directions, shopping list, chick magnet, alarm clock, calendar, camera, calculator, internet browser from anywhere and email. Now this is what the ipod should have been. Its not perfect though, don't get me wrong.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
IMO, this is the best ipod ever made. I had no use for the original ipod but the iPhone is the only gadget I need. Its my ipod, movie player, phone, maps for directions, shopping list, chick magnet, alarm clock, calendar, camera, calculator, internet browser from anywhere and email. Now this is what the ipod should have been. Its not perfect though, don't get me wrong.
love how you threw chick magnes in there...seems to only work if you don't have a girlfriend. Mine wants to break the damn thing cause im always playing on it lol.

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
I never owned an ipod, but I’ll bet a lot of EIP members have. I hear a lot of people wondering where this feature’s at or can you do that function with the iPod on the iPhone. Seems to me that the “best ipod ever” claim is a bit... exaggerated. Coverflow and a touchscreen interface hardly makes it the best. But I’d like to really know, rather than just bash it.

Is there a place/chart that lists the differences between your best ipod and the iPhone’s ipod? I found a basic one, but there has to be more. Has anyone really examined the claim that the ipod on the iPhone is really “the best ipod (Apple’s) ever created?” If there isn’t one already, could we create such an organized chart of features ourselves? I’d be willing to organize the list if other people contribute.

EDIT: And please refrain from saying that the phone and internet make it the best ipod ever. Apple says the iPhone has a great phone, internet, AND the includes best ipod ever. I'm speaking Apples to Apples only. Let’s keep this iPod to iPod.

All other current ipods have the click wheel. The touch screen UI is LEAGUES ahead of this. The screen is a lot bigger and sharper so it plays video better than the video ipod. It has no Hard Drive, it is solid state so is thereforee more reliable: No dodgey HD crashes. The only way it looses out is the memory capacity. Expect the next gen ipods to basically be iPhone with larger capacity flash chips. No way will Apple continue the click wheel. Its had its day;)

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
I just loaded a movie on my old (old? i bought it last year!) 5g 30gb ipod for my wife to use on a trip, and I loaded it up to check it out for a second, and thought to myself "OMG, she is gonna watch this on this tiny screen?". If you have had an ipod, any iPod, you know the iPod functions in the iPhone blow away everything they've done before. I would bet that in a world where the iPhone never existed, if Apple had come out with a 6G iPod with just touchscreen, widescreen mode and coverflow at the iPod price point, people would have been mobbing Apple stores just for that model.It is definitely the best iPod ever. It is imo the best phone across the board ever, without a doubt. Now... perhaps the best SMARTPHONE? maybe not so much... I need some of those advanced features restored to my phone like mass sms, streaming internet radio, file access, word processing, and outlook task sync yada yada.... but I digress.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Subjectively, this is the best ipod I've ever owned, the best cellphone and the best portable internet device (aside from my laptop) I've ever owned, so the phrase "The best ipod we've ever created" works for me!