"The Best Way To Experience The Web"

AllenConder

Bronze
Dec 13, 2009
wha? have you used it yet? we are still a month away from it being sold, but sue? really?

there are A LOT of companies who exaggerate when it comes to slogens, nothing to get bent out of shape for. With it being a touch screen it makes it a really unique exprence...don't knock it till you try it

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
wha? have you used it yet? we are still a month away from it being sold, but sue? really?

there are A LOT of companies who exaggerate when it comes to slogens, nothing to get bent out of shape for. With it being a touch screen it makes it a really uniqe exprence...don't knock it till you try it
Besides that, the day it comes out, it will be the best way to surf the web!

vice86

Bronze
Oct 16, 2009
Poconos, NJ, NYC

there are A LOT of companies who exaggerate when it comes to slogens, nothing to get bent out of shape for. With it being a touch screen it makes it a really uniqe exprence...don't knock it till you try it
lol...slow down, brah...I was poking light humor at the iPad's inability to display flash yet calling the itself the best way to experience the web. It should be "the best way to experience SOME of the web"

M

mrs-ipad

Do you remember that Steve Jobs did the iPad keynote speech and used youtube? Then wasn't it flash? Mm.....

Animator

Bronze
Do you remember that Steve Jobs did the iPad keynote speech and used youtube? Then wasn't it flash? Mm.....
I believe that's because youtube is implementing HTML5. Apparently HTML5 will be able to do what flash can, but without crashing, bloating, and hogging the processor.

M

mrs-ipad

I see. Thanks!

AllenConder

Bronze
Dec 13, 2009
just remember that adobe can grab that 3.2 SDK and make away to make this work, this all dosnt fall on Apple...this is a 2 sided deal, why would Apple want this, flash offers free things that they charge, why not movie theaters just let you bring in wendys or Micky Ds? because Hollywood takes 90% of ticket prices and they make most of their money from connsessions! if flash is the be-all-end all of your internet experience, then don't GET IT...then reconsider why you use the internet, im getting the ipad...HTML5 or others will take over a flash that most website makers are sick of anyways

vice86

Bronze
Oct 16, 2009
Poconos, NJ, NYC
if flash is the be-all-end all of your internet experience, then don't GET IT...then reconsider why you use the internet, im getting the ipad...HTML5 or others will take over a flash that most website makers are sick of anyways
Once HTML5 takes over Flash...we'll have to see if Apple doesn't do anything new to hamper that experience. Until then...they shouldn't be touting the best way to experience the interwebs if you're not getting to visit 100% of the web like you can on a desktop/labtop.

As for reconsidering how I use the net...lol...if I go to a site like rottentomatoes.com on an iPhone or iPad....i should be able to see it..lol. No reason for me to reconsider how I use the internet because of Apple's restrictions.

moppsy

Jul 31, 2007
NJ
... why would Apple want this, flash offers free things that they charge ...
I see this argument a lot, even though all the evidence is to the contrary.

Web-apps can offer for free what you pay for in the app store.
There are many free apps in the app store that directly compete with paid versions.
Either potentially means lost revenue for Apple.
I haven't seen any move by them to eliminate these profit leaks.

I find it difficult to believe that the absence of Flash is for that reason.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Once HTML5 takes over Flash...we'll have to see if Apple doesn't do anything new to hamper that experience. Until then...they shouldn't be touting the best way to experience the interwebs if you're not getting to visit 100% of the web like you can on a desktop/labtop.

As for reconsidering how I use the net...lol...if I go to a site like rottentomatoes.com on an iPhone or iPad....i should be able to see it..lol. No reason for me to reconsider how I use the internet because of Apple's restrictions.
Apple isn't "hampering" flash just because they can. They're doing it because flash runs like **** on Apple products (and pretty much every other product too). HTML5 doesn't.

And Youtube worked in the iPad keynote because it has its own app - not because of HTML5.

vice86

Bronze
Oct 16, 2009
Poconos, NJ, NYC
Apple isn't "hampering" flash just because they can. They're doing it because flash runs like **** on Apple products (and pretty much every other product too). HTML5 doesn't.
runs well on my PC and MAC desktop. Would love to see how it runs on iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I disagree. Flash is one of the biggest processor hogs out there. And for what? Video playback? Animations?

It seems to me that adobe is resting on their laurels. Everything uses flash, so what other choice is there? They have no incentive to improve their product.

carld

Bronze
Feb 19, 2010

And Youtube worked in the iPad keynote because it has its own app - not because of HTML5.
Flash runs just fine for me, it even runs on my phone. Widespread adoption of HTML5 is still years, and several iPads iterations, away. That is, if it even ends up being widely used.

I do in-fact think this is all about money with Apple. If not for Apps, though I think that has something to do with it, then for video. Why buy something off of iTunes when you can watch movies and tv shows all over the web for free?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Google is in the process of upgrading YouTube to HTML5. You can try the beta now. I guarantee if YouTube does it, everyone else will follow.

monizk

Dec 3, 2008
Bossier city LA
www.myspace.com
yeah not having flash does suck and i hated the article i read the other day about "how many websites do you use that require flash" and when i read it i was like this guy got a good point i don't use that many sites with flash. and then just 3 days ago im in reno and i decide i want to search a businesss and see what it offers before i catch a taxi and pay the money to get in and guess what i open my bad @ss iPhone and click on the link from google and ......"this page requires the newest version of flash download it here" lol wtf i guess i did need flash after all. they say everything is moving to html5 but it aint there yet so they can just start keeping that to themselves. i do agree that it will be a nice internet experience though in the way that you can hold the thing in your hand rather that sit it on your lap. i really like that idea.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
The real question is will Apple's devices become so popular that they web devs change from such a widely accepted standard such as flash to relatively new HTML5. That is what Jobs is banking on. Jobs could create a device that runs flash but he won't. And it's not the 'cause it's Adobe's problem to fix not mine excuse either. Granted flash sucks on Apple products but that's not the "real" reason. The "real" reason is because Apple doesn't want the 1,000's of flash games to bypass the appstore. Once again it's about the lock down of their hardware. We seeing a trend yet?

vice86

Bronze
Oct 16, 2009
Poconos, NJ, NYC
weird...anyone who says they don't need to have Flash capabilites on their mobile browser is just lying to themselves. A lot of sites I can't browse because they all use flash.

Hopefully it will be sooner than later that everything is HTML5 based...and hopefully Apple doesn't find away to screw Apple users outta that experience too so they can make a buck off of us.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't need flash on my mobile browser.

<------not lying.