The Blackberry Setback Thread

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
One analyst came out today and said over 50 percent of buyers are returning them. I don't trust analysts, but even if he's off a bit, that's awful.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
One analyst came out today and said over 50 percent of buyers are returning them. I don't trust analysts, but even if he's off a bit, that's awful.
I wasn't even positive it launched in the US until I went to the AT&T website. Horrible price for the BB Z10, why would you pay $199 for the BB Z10 when you could pick up an iPhone or HTC One for that or an S3 for half that. I won't be surprised to see the Z10 price slashed in a few months.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't see this turnaround happening, not that I did months either. Too little, too late. I fear that Microsoft is in the same boat, but Blackberry seems worse off. Having a great OS (and I'm not sure BlackBerry has that with BB10) is only half the equation. Apps are so critical and if you cannot secure major publishers (Instagram), you are dead in the water.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I don't see this turnaround happening, not that I did months either. Too little, too late. I fear that Microsoft is in the same boat, but Blackberry seems worse off. Having a great OS (and I'm not sure BlackBerry has that with BB10) is only half the equation. Apps are so critical and if you cannot secure major publishers (Instagram), you are dead in the water.

I stopped using BlackBerry devices after the Bold 9900 - the only thing that was good about that device was its keyboard, however everything else was extremely mediocre and not worth the price tag whatsoever. BlackBerry App World only had about ten to fifteen applications that were actually useful and 'popular', whereas everything else felt coded by a two year old.

About a month or two ago I read that BlackBerry Messenger will become a cross-device application available on Android, iOS and BlackBerry OS, so I am certainly waiting for that and am excited for it because BBM is perhaps the best thing about BB.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
BB can no longer count on my company to support them. Corporate officially announced the upcoming rollout of the S3 from the BB. Took long enough for the announcement since I heard about it through my sources last summer. The rollout will take a couple of months to complete so the S5 or S8 should be out by then ;) . I am looking forward to getting rid of my BB, can't stand typing on that small keyboard. I bought a Nexus 7 last summer to learn about Android and the biggest thing I learned is that it sucks compared to my iPad and has made me want to get an iPad mini as well, lol.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Funny how things work out. I remember the BB Storm was one of the first "iPhone killers", so they obviously realized what they had to react to it earlier than most. I guess they just couldn't compete on the level of a company like Google can. Same with Palm.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
BB can no longer count on my company to support them. Corporate officially announced the upcoming rollout of the S3 from the BB. Took long enough for the announcement since I heard about it through my sources last summer. The rollout will take a couple of months to complete so the S5 or S8 should be out by then ;) . I am looking forward to getting rid of my BB, can't stand typing on that small keyboard. I bought a Nexus 7 last summer to learn about Android and the biggest thing I learned is that it sucks compared to my iPad and has made me want to get an iPad mini as well, lol.
You have my sympathy! You poor thing, have to use a Scamsung (Samdung) device!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
New hardware won't save them. Their problem lies with the new OS and lack of apps. Six months from now, they'll be on the brink. We'll have all new iPhones (including a low-cost model), Samsung will release the Note 3 and leaks will begin around the Galaxy S5. No one will be lining up to buy a BlackBerry.

Would they be able to bring something of worth to the Android market? Just another Android device won't cut it. They are release BBM for iPhone (and I think Android), so what's left to make a unique offering?