The Box Opening Ceremony

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Check out this article...http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/2007/06/cultofmac_0626

I love this quote:

"Apple's not going to ruin that experience by having some ham-fisted, pimply cell-phone salesman open the box for you. Instead, Allen predicts, the buyer will have the iPhone box quickly scanned at the store. When they get home, they'll synchronize the phone with their computer, and the registration process will take place through iTunes. "

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
That is really kinda creepy. O_o But I never thought about how amazing it will be to sit down in my living room with my iPhone box! Thanks for the link! (And the humor! =P)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
They WILL be able to activate the iPhone at an AT&T store though right? I want to start using it right away. I also have to go to work at 9:30 so I don't want to have to run home and activate it, I want to be able to flaunt it for a while without having to go home.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
They WILL be able to activate the iPhone at an AT&T store though right? I want to start using it right away. I also have to go to work at 9:30 so I don't want to have to run home and activate it, I want to be able to flaunt it for a while without having to go home.
I seriously doubt it...since you have to go through iTunes to set it up...it would take FOREVER if they did it at the store.

Jun 25, 2007
The not being able to activate it from AT&T has me wondering. I talked to a representative today about changing my number when I got the phone and they said it wasn't a problem, just had to pay a $36 fee. But if you can't activate it I wonder if they would do that in the store when you got the phone or if I should go in earlier in the day to get a new number.

What do you guys think?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You'll be able to activate it in store if you want. Too many people will be unfamiliar with iTunes to do without this option.

from att_employee:

The ONLY eligibility requirements are these:
Customer must be over 18
Customer must have a credit or debit card
Customer must have an email address
Customer must have internet access
Customer may not activate device on CRU or NBI account

A customer can perform an upgrade tomorrow to another device and extend his or her contract, and STILL be eligible to purchase the iPhone and re-extend their contract on Friday.

A credit check will be run on new customers/new lines of service - in Apple stores, on iTunes and at AT&T stores. If a deposit is required, the customer will have to pay the deposit in an AT&T store in order to complete activation - even if they purchased their device in an Apple store or on Apple.com. If the customer does not want to pay the deposit, he/she may activate the device on a NEW GoPhone Pick Your Plan account, adding the iPhone data package.

A customer may not initiate activation of the device to an existing prepaid account, nor will the customer be able to activate the device as a GoPhone, without being denied post-paid activation without a deposit.

Only one device will be sold per customer. If you want to activate multiple on a family plan, then there must be one family member present per device sold.

As there will be an in-store direct fulfillment process available, and quantities delivered to stores may be somewhat limited, supplies will run out quickly, and customers will be shipped their iPhone directly from the warehouse.