the CameraPro app

H

Hayesimus

anyone tried this yet? its got some features that SURPRISE the iPhone lacked. but does it work? i can't seem to figure out if it does or not because i can't find the pic i took lol

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I wrote about my experience on another thread about this but I didn't think it was that great on my iPhone. The zoom is blurry and all my pictures are in black and white for some reason even if I adjust the color. I wasn't impressed. I would not pay for this.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I couldn't find the pictures I took either, but after messing around with it a little bit more I Found the picture in my Photos.

Noone should pay for this since the homebrew applications is all about being free.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I replaced the original camera with this. However, my trial time is expired, so all I have is zoom. I'm not paying $20 for this.

- John

H

Hayesimus

i'm glad someone finally did this, but no. i won't pay for it. because i'm not gonna pay for an app of any kind and also because its not really THAT great. I mean i still haven't found the photo i took lol. and yeah the zoom isn't good. i mean i can crop a picture on my computer if i wanted that poor quality. so i guess i'd like to see other features like lighing effects and like sepia and all that. anyway, nice try though. maybe when they perfect it. and its free.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This app works fine for me. It's up to 1.06 now if you add this Installer source:
http://SMALLurl.com/2t8cax

(Replace SMALL with tiny.)

Color is fine and not an issue unless I select Grey Scale of course (there is no other adjustment).

Although it's a digital zoom it seems to help capture text from boxes, etc. (grey scale can help here). I do this a lot when out at a store (taking shots of the specs, price tags, etc.). I mostly like the zoom since I can keep the iPhone further away from what I am shooting and still be able to see exactly what I want to shoot. Without the zoom I have to move the iPhone so close as to be out of focus or if far enough away I can't tell if the text I am trying to shoot will come out or not.

The timer works great to get steady shots, even if not of yourself. Ditto for burst mode. All in all I'd say this beats the built-in camera app.

And don't come down on the author of this app for charging for it--though I do think it's priced a bit too high. If you want to vent, vent at Apple for leaving us with such an abysmal camera application in the first place (and it's still the same, more than six months later).

--
Mike

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
And don't come down on the author of this app for charging for it--though I do think it's priced a bit too high. If you want to vent, vent at Apple for leaving us with such an abysmal camera application in the first place (and it's still the same, more than six months later).

--
Mike
I agree that Apple should have included an app like this with their camera, but the author of this new app has some cajones to charge for a 3rd party app, when all the others are free, and most are more useful and entertaining. IMHO.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I agree that Apple should have included an app like this with their camera, but the author of this new app has some cajones to charge for a 3rd party app, when all the others are free, and most are more useful and entertaining. IMHO.
I don't see it that way, aside from the actual price-point. The author has been upfront about it from the get-go. Moreover everything-free has not been the model for most smartphones in the past. I bought apps for my Treo, and I'd buy apps for my iPhone too. In most cases the apps I paid for got updated frequently. And for comparison I had to pay for an app on my Treo just to make the volume adequate. yes I could have resisted and claimed it was akin to highway robbery, but at the end of the day if it wasn't for VolumeCare I probably would not have kept my Treo 650 for as long as I did.

(That doesn't mean there weren't freeware apps for the Treo. There were plenty of them. But they didn't cover all of the bases.)

My only issue with commercial apps on the iPhone right now is that there is no guarantee of future use. Other than that I have no problem with an author charging for a quality app. Sure I'd prefer free, but I also realize that free doesn't pay the bills.

Keep in mind that many of the forthcoming SDK apps are not likely to be free either.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
This isn't first application to show up on Installer that costs money, and for the record Navizon wasn't useful OR entertaining :p I think we should get used to this sort of thing, as we're going to see a lot more.

Question, have you any experience with the freeware scene on Mac? If so, you'd know that there are about 5 actual freeware programs in existence, everything else requires you to pony up at least $14.99 to use it. I hate the freeware scene on Mac, its nowhere as robust as the PC's, however in that same respect, the Application "fall-off" by the authors is considerably lower on the Mac because the authors are charging for their work.

----

As for this Camera App goes, I'll give it a spin when I'm out and about, but for the most part I'm not having any problem finding my pictures, and the zoom actually works very well.

I tested it on some text by first snapping a normal picture, and then a zoomed picture. The text was blurry on the normal picture, and when zoomed up to match the size of the "zoomed" image, the text was too blurry to read. As for the zoomed image, I could clearly read the text, which leads me to believe this Camera App has an algorithm to sharpen the image. Pretty slick.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
All this says to me is, that we now know that this is just a simple software thing that a 3rd party app did. No I am sure that Stevo can do the same simple thing with an update for free.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Not to be one to say, "I told you so," but, I told you so. I posted a thread about a month and a half ago titled "My iPhone can digitally zoom" and everyone called BS on me because I couldn't reproduce it. It was just a little glitch at the time that only happened once and never again. So now I stand vindicated!

So...um...HAH! I guess.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Not to be one to say, "I told you so," but, I told you so. I posted a thread about a month and a half ago titled "My iPhone can digitally zoom" and everyone called BS on me because I couldn't reproduce it. It was just a little glitch at the time that only happened once and never again. So now I stand vindicated!

So...um...HAH! I guess.

You get a Get Out of Jail Free card. LOL

greenenvy

Dec 30, 2007
Why charge for a beta version?

This developer should have released a free "beta" version and worked out the kinks with free testers. As it is, the interface looks cheap, the pics take forever to show up in your roll, and if you click too fast on the pics button... You lose your photo forever.

Even five bucks is too much for an app of this quality.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This developer should have released a free "beta" version and worked out the kinks with free testers. As it is, the interface looks cheap, the pics take forever to show up in your roll, and if you click too fast on the pics button... You lose your photo forever.
This app isn't 100% pay to use: there is a free and a premium mode, and everyone can try premium mode for free. And the app is still functional in Free Mode. I'll keep it and use it for the grey scale and zoom functionality alone. If more features are added that I like, and which are only in the paid version, I might buy it. At this point I have more faith in this app than Apple doing anything about the camera.

I also noted that 1.06 is already out. You can't tap the pics button too fast, it won't let you anymore.

--
Mike