The Charge

Apr 17, 2007
Just like usual phones and their phone companies, you get charged if you go on the internet or call long distance or something. But since the iPhone is a little different than other phones, are they going to charge you on everything you do? ex) like internet fees? That would suck if that is going to happen.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It all depends on the data plan you select. With the iPhone, I'd advise you to get the Unlimited Data plan. I'm not sure what Cingular is calling these days, but it's an all you can eat data plan and it'll set you back $40 a month.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Yes, Cingular calls it the "PDA Connect (unlimited)" Plan. (I had talked to my Local Cingular Store Representative about this.) It's current price is $44.99/month. However, since the iPhone will be able to use Wi-Fi signals, you can access those for free.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
If Cingular uses its current pricing structure, the cost for a data plan will depend on how they classify the iPhone. If they classify it as a smartphone the cost will be $20 for unlimited service (I currently have this plan). If they classify it as a PDA, then it will be $45 for unlimited service.

I am hoping that they will have a new iPhone plan that will be more reasonable than their current offerings. Right now, I think the only thing that could keep me from buying an iPhone is the cost of the data plan.

Apr 18, 2007
Probably a smartphone

If Cingular uses its current pricing structure, the cost for a data plan will depend on how they classify the iPhone. If they classify it as a smartphone the cost will be $20 for unlimited service (I currently have this plan). If they classify it as a PDA, then it will be $45 for unlimited service.
Besides the very unofficial reports (http://www.appleiPhonereview.com/iphone-rate-plans/cingular-iphone-ad-leaked-rate-plans-revealed/),
I would think (and really hope) that the iPhone would be classified as a smartphone simply because a PDA lacks the phone capability. The reason they are charged so much is because people aren't paying for the voice plan along with the data plan... with smartphones you are paying the $40+/month just for the voice plan and then another $20/month for data.

So my prediction would be that the iPhone data plan will be an additional $20/month for unlimited service plus the voice plan, which I think would be pretty awesome and well worth the money. Let's hope that (or maybe even cheaper!) is the case. At the very least, the WiFi is free.:)

khunlyon

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
Besides the very unofficial reports (http://www.appleiPhonereview.com/iphone-rate-plans/cingular-iphone-ad-leaked-rate-plans-revealed/),
I would think (and really hope) that the iPhone would be classified as a smartphone simply because a PDA lacks the phone capability. The reason they are charged so much is because people aren't paying for the voice plan along with the data plan... with smartphones you are paying the $40+/month just for the voice plan and then another $20/month for data.

So my prediction would be that the iPhone data plan will be an additional $20/month for unlimited service plus the voice plan, which I think would be pretty awesome and well worth the money. Let's hope that (or maybe even cheaper!) is the case. At the very least, the WiFi is free.:)
A pda doesn't necessarily lack the phone function. I have a Palm 680 (formerly a 650, blackjack and an 8125 all for cingular) and all of those phones have been classified as PDAs. I have had to pay $40 a month for my calling plan (500min unlimited night/weekend/mobile2mobile) PLUS $40 ($39.99 not $44.99 for some reason - they must have changed it recently) for the Data Plan AND on top of that $10 for 1000 text messages. I would assume that the iPhone would have the same sort of plan unless they come out with something specific to the iPhone. I doubt it would be classified as a smart phone. That tends to be things like the Cingular 2125 and Nokia s60 phones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 18, 2007
Hmmm... I don't know then...

Khunlyon brought up a good point that I hadn't realized before. I thought based on the Cingular website for the PDA's that they were referring to a PDA that just had data and not phone capabilities (I don't even know if any of those exist, but it made sense to me at the time) since the PDA plans do not list any phone plans, whereas the Smartphones show both a data plan AND a phone plan. So that might just ruin my whole Smartphone theory.

On the bright side, Steve Jobs has called the iPhone a smartphone (I think he called it that in the keynote speech), rather than a PDA. I know that really doesn't count for anything, but I am hanging on by a thread that I will be able to afford the monthly plan for the iPhone.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
They are going to use the SmartPhone Connect plan expect call it the "iPhone Plan" or something like that. They cannot charge $45 for a data plan for this thing. I know I wont buy it. They can get away it it for PDA and Blackberry users because they are mostly businesss users those people pay anything for data plans.

khunlyon

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
hell i'll pay for it even if its the full PDA price. Honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if they decided to charge more and make it a "special iPhone Plan" of some sort simply because the iPhone runs FULL web pages where as other PDA devices (generaly) don't.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Besides the very unofficial reports
Given the source, I would say very unofficial is an understatement. That was the first story run by that particular site and generated a lot of traffic for them. Problem is, the story was completely false.

I doubt it would be classified as a smart phone.
I think Cingular will classify it as a smartphone. I would hope they would price data lower, but that just hasn't been the case. If they lower data pricing, it would increase acceptance of smartphones. With the iPhone, they know people will sign up regardless of pricing. Would they sell more? Yes. Perhaps they start off with $40 data pricing and move to a lower data pricing strategy down the road after the initial sales.

I sure hope we start to see a trend of lower data pricing from wireless carriers.