The Cloud

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
This 'Cloud' theme/logo is the hokiest I've ever seen from Apple and I'm a die hard Apple fan.....

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If the service is down, will we see a storm cloud?:p

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
The "ME" part looks an awful lot like the Windows Me logo! UGH!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Maybe it's some secret joint collaberation between Jobs and Gates to integrate Mac and Windows back into 1 platform and rule the world with it...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It's not the greatest, but I think what they were after was a creative way to make it easy to comprehend. You change something, it's sent into the sky and reaches your personal cloud, and then your personal cloud tosses it to all your other devices.

- John

John, I get the marketing imagery with the cloud, but I don't get the cutesy name for it. Even with the me.com domain, they could have come up with a better name, something that alluded to its similarities to Exchange or its use of the Cloud. I guess I just don't like the name MobileMe or the logo.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, they couldn't call it "Big Brother"...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Quite true, Rick. I think .Mac was a much more fitting, as well as cooler, name. But oh well, it's just the name and logo; that doesn't mean the services it offers aren't awesome.

- John

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I don't know I am looking forward to having me@me.com as my new email address

Yep, I have to reserve judgment on the services. My concern is whether they will let me host my current email addresses as well as my me.com address. I'm betting on them doing some kind of IMAP from foreign domains to the Cloud, then pushing it all down. THAT would be sweet, especially combined with contact sync and the other features.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yep, I have to reserve judgment on the services. My concern is whether they will let me host my current email addresses as well as my me.com address. I'm betting on them doing some kind of IMAP from foreign domains to the Cloud, then pushing it all down. THAT would be sweet, especially combined with contact sync and the other features.
I'd settle for just the reply from feature. With Gmail, I can reply from any account once I verify it. That would be easier for Apple to accomplish. They also need Rules or copy Google's "Labels". I'll use it for my personal account, but I need "reply from" and "labels/rules" in order to migrate from Gmail. Otherwise, I'll have to miss out on the push. I also have a Curve and do love push email.

Push, labels and reply from would be nirvana for me...ahem mobileme.:p

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I'd settle for just the reply from feature. With Gmail, I can reply from any account once I verify it. That would be easier for Apple to accomplish. They also need Rules or copy Google's "Labels". I'll use it for my personal account, but I need "reply from" and "labels/rules" in order to migrate from Gmail. Otherwise, I'll have to miss out on the push. I also have a Curve and do love push email.

Push, labels and reply from would be nirvana for me...ahem mobileme.:p
I thought it was a cert that it would have push! So 'reply from' would be the big seller for me. When is the release of mobile me, is it the 11th also or so you think it will before.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I thought it was a cert that it would have push! So 'reply from' would be the big seller for me. When is the release of mobile me, is it the 11th also or so you think it will before.
I'm thinking it's the 21st of July, as the "Buy a Mac, get $30 off MobileMe" deal from Apple lasts until that date. See here.

- John