The death of the iPhone?

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Is anyone eles pissed off that walmart might sell a 4gb 3g?

I know walmart was talking about doing it for black friday but not a 4gb.
I feel the iPhone will become like a razor or a the first nokia with polyphonic ringtones. Trust me im not one of thoes ppl that got a iPhone bc its a iPhone i use the crap out of both of mine. My roommate and friends give me crap everyday bc i never get off it.

Walmart kills everything!

Last edited by a moderator:

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Is anyone eles pissed off that walmart might sell a 4gb 3g?

I know walmart was talking about doing it for black friday but not a 4gb.
I feel the iPhone will become like a razor or a the first nokia with polyphonic ringtones. Trust me im not one of thoes ppl that got a iPhone bc its a iPhone i use the crap out of both of mine. My roommate and friends give me crap everyday bc i never get off it.

Walmart kills everything!

i don't think it really matters-unless your iPhone is nothing but a status symbol.

Your iPhone is still going to work the same as it did before walmart. Apple is still going to support the iPhone and push out updates just like they did before Walmart. If anything this gets the phone in the hands of more people and can only help development and progress with the iPhone. The RAZR is a different story. It was a piece of crap. The iPhone is not.

I don't get everyone's preoccupation with Walmart. It doesn't kill anything. What's wrong with making a product affordable to someone who may not have otherwise been able to afford it? That's definitely not a bad thing in my eyes with the economy in the state it is in.

Last edited by a moderator:

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
i don't think it really matters-unless your iPhone is nothing but a status symbol.

Your iPhone is still going to work the same as it did before walmart. Apple is still going to support the iPhone and push out updates just like they did before Walmart. If anything this gets the phone in the hands of more people and can only help development and progress with the iPhone. The RAZR is a different story. It was a piece of crap. The iPhone is not.

I don't get everyone's preoccupation with Walmart. It doesn't kill anything. What's wrong with making a product affordable to someone who may not have otherwise been able to afford it? That's definitely not a bad thing in my eyes with the economy in the state it is in.
I just feel that when Apple mass produces even more than they are now to meet walmarts demand for the iPhone more problems might come up and could bring a bad name to a great product.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm just happy someone referenced my article. :cool:

My guess is that by the time the iPhone 3G 4GB finds it's way to Walmart, Apple will offer a high end iPhone. If not, then I see your point and there are risks with mass production. Just ask Motorola. The RAZR was the in-product, but became ho-hum when everyone had it. Doesn't make the iPhone less rockin', but does change public perception. It's already changed yours!;)

EDIT: Sorry, I just see you guys both beat me to it with the RAZR reference.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
How people can be bothered by this confuses me to no end.

We all got in a big argument over a certian member of this community stemming from this topic....I hope that conversation doesn't rear it's head again.

No. Big. Deal.

Death of the iPhone. LAUGHABLE notion, seriously.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
The flip side of this is that more adoption equals more accessories and applications - and that also means that they can be cheaper as well due to lower production costs for accessories (due to higher run rates) and more of a user base to sell apps to (meaning that each copy need not be as expensive). Wal-Mart selling the iPhone will greatly accelerate this. A broader userbase also means more people here on EIC -- and that can't be bad. :)

failsafe

Bronze
Oct 17, 2008
San Diego
The flip side of this is that more adoption equals more accessories and applications - and that also means that they can be cheaper as well due to lower production costs for accessories (due to higher run rates) and more of a user base to sell apps to (meaning that each copy need not be as expensive). Wal-Mart selling the iPhone will greatly accelerate this. A broader userbase also means more people here on EIC -- and that can't be bad. :)
I agree with you 100% :)

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
It won't make much of a difference except to people who really love and appreciate their 3G iPhones. To me, it doesn't really matter as long as the new Nokia N97 is coming out. Totally excited and can't wait to grab one. :D

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You can not make my iPhone less awesome than it is, no matter what you do.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
chris said:
"Apple will offer a high end iPhone"
What do ya' think they'll unvail, Chris? Exciting prospects!

It won't make much of a difference except to people who really love and appreciate their 3G iPhones. To me, it doesn't really matter as long as the new Nokia N97 is coming out. Totally excited and can't wait to grab one. :D
Seriously homey, I've had just about enough of your bad iPhone juju.. :mad:

I do love Ali-G, though.. "rethpect" :cool:

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I agree JoeT and as said elsewhere in this thread, Apple will probably come up with a high end phone or maybe even 2 higher end levels and those that want to and can afford it will but them. Wal-Mart has made many products affordable to those on very tight budgets.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
there is no need for the high end phone, the fact that walmart is selling this phone is a good thing, that is what Apple wants, a unit in every hand, if this is a status symbol for you, then wow, a phone that does this for you, you need to rethink your self image, if you want to spend more money on something then get the white phone, other then that, i want to walk down the street and see a unit in every hand, that is just me.

i don't buy crap to be better then people i buy it because i like it.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
there is no need for the high end phone, the fact that walmart is selling this phone is a good thing, that is what Apple wants, a unit in every hand, if this is a status symbol for you, then wow, a phone that does this for you, you need to rethink your self image, if you want to spend more money on something then get the white phone, other then that, i want to walk down the street and see a unit in every hand, that is just me.

i don't buy crap to be better then people i buy it because i like it.
I agree but having a broad range of a product available low end to high end if demanded by the consumer benefits us all.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i agree, but i say that it does not , matter where you get it, if the product is high end then it is, and the iPhone is, regardless of where it is sold

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
The high-end iPhone will feature cut & paste and a $900 price tag.

Sold!

haha.. ya know.. makes me wonder, with cydia and the app store offering an app for just about anything you can think of, why hasn't anyone developed a simple cut & paste plugin? (Have they and I just don't know?) What's the big deal, it can't be that hard to do?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
if you wanna show status get the im rich app, then go around showing everyone the app, and pay up for a wall charger, haha. im silly now,

heh, whatever, this is just a silly topic

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah WalMart has killed that outdated format called the DVD. And TVs. And that that thing we used to eat called food. :)