The definitive iPhone activation and eligibility thread.

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
Nothing new on data plans. Just checked it.
Just read this....it's all over the net

iPhone to get unlimited data "iPlan?"...
The iPhone will launch this week with a special data plan attached to it, according to high-placed source with access to AT&T. The contacts claim that the provider has decided to create a custom plan for the device, known internally as the "iPlan," that will enable all its features without requiring a premium. Current details reportedly call for a price between $35-45 per month that would offer unlimited Internet access over EDGE as well as a minimum of 2,000 SMS messages. The plan may even grow to include unlimited texting, the source says.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Just read this....it's all over the net

iPhone to get unlimited data "iPlan?"...
The iPhone will launch this week with a special data plan attached to it, according to high-placed source with access to AT&T. The contacts claim that the provider has decided to create a custom plan for the device, known internally as the "iPlan," that will enable all its features without requiring a premium. Current details reportedly call for a price between $35-45 per month that would offer unlimited Internet access over EDGE as well as a minimum of 2,000 SMS messages. The plan may even grow to include unlimited texting, the source says.
Ya think. It's been posted four times now on this forum.:laugh2:

Scuba

Jun 22, 2007
it has been released to the public that NO alternate SIM cards will work with the iPhone. it is unique to the phone. sorry, but you wont be able to do this.
I didn't say this is how you replace the embedded sim with an alternate sim. It's just that you don't have to purchase Apple's accessory in order to remove their sim when it needs to be replaced. As per the AT&T website.. it was undergoing maintenance when I was at work today.

iphoneCOS

Jun 25, 2007
I just spoke with an AT&T rep in Colorado Springs on the phone and asked if they were going to have the iPhone on Friday. He said "no, for sure we won't". I asked who in the Colorado Springs area would have them and he said he is not sure what location, but there will only be about 10 iPhones available in the Springs. He said it will be like the PS3 release. :mad:

Hope this is false information, but it looks like online ordering for me.

Thats a bummer as I was planning on going to pick one up. Maybe off to the Denver Apple Store?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
No need to worry. After this morning there are no more questions about rate plans, eligibility, or activations.

Also they released an Activations and Synching video on the Apple.com site. It's all here.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomwans

Jun 22, 2007
what do i do with my old carrier? i'm going to keep my number, so do i just do what Apple says and leave it alone? or should i call sprint before i cancel? do they do it all for me ? wtf it sounds too easy / too good to be true

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
what do i do with my old carrier? i'm going to keep my number, so do i just do what Apple says and leave it alone? or should i call sprint before i cancel? do they do it all for me ? wtf it sounds too easy / too good to be true
Don't call Sprint first. they will cancel you and put your number back int he pool. Since you are leaving them they have no reason to be helpful. Wait until you get your number transfered to the iPhone before you call and cancel.

3dg

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, I wouldn't cancel anything. Transfer first, get it all working, then see about canceling.

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Yeah, I wouldn't cancel anything. Transfer first, get it all working, then see about canceling.
If you are transferring from another carrier, the activation process requires you to have your account information from that carrier. ATT will take care of terminating your account. You will be able to call out from the iPhone, but will not receive calls until the transfer is complete (can be up to 6 hours).

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Looks like everyone, new customers, current customers in or out of contract, even pre-paid customers are eligible. Only corporate customers will locked out, however they can open an individual account.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/26/the-small-print-stinks-no-ipod-features-without-service-plan/

Update: I just got off the phone with Mark Siegel of AT&T. Siegel states that all existing iPhone customers must upgrade to a new two year contract. According to Siegel, the clock starts over regardless of whether the customer is a GoPhone customer, on an existing family plan, or so forth. What remains unclear to me is if you can buy the GoPhone and agree to the 2 year commitment for the data only.

Update 2: If you *can* sign up as an existing AT&T GoPhone customer and just get the data plan, the best deal I can work out is (using "Replace a phone on my account with this iPhone"): $500 (iPhone) + $200 (2 1-year $100 cards at 25 cents per minute, includes disposable phone with purchase) + $20/month data * 24 = $1180 for 2 years plus any additional phone time via prepaid cards.
This is great news. I'm glad Apple and AT&T FINALLY cleared this issue up.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Leave it to Att to screw something up that could have been so nice.:(
Yeah, AT&T really screwed it up alright.

They have the cheapest unlimited data plan on the planet for the iPhone.

Now how are the AT&T haters going to respond......I'm sure they will be true to their negative attitudes and come up with something to rant about.......:p

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I'm starting to think if the iPhone fails, it will be because of AT&T.

Hmmm..... very interesting. And here I thought Apple created this phone?

How is that iPhone fanatics are so negative and looking to blame AT&T?

Apple = can do no wrong
AT&T = guilty before the bloody phone is even being sold.

Then the REALLY BAD NEWS out today......
AT&T is providing the lowest priced data plan on the planet for iPhone customers at just $20 for unlimited access.

So WHY is this BAD NEWS.....? Because now you AT&T Haters are going to have to use your minds to come up with something else to blame on AT&T.

NO Worries, there's sure to be something for you to complain about from now until Friday.......:p

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hmmm..... very interesting. And here I thought Apple created this phone?

How is that iPhone fanatics are so negative and looking to blame AT&T?

Apple = can do no wrong
AT&T = guilty before the bloody phone is even being sold.

Then the REALLY BAD NEWS out today......
AT&T is providing the lowest priced data plan on the planet for iPhone customers at just $20 for unlimited access.

So WHY is this BAD NEWS.....? Because now you AT&T Haters are going to have to use your minds to come up with something else to blame on AT&T.

NO Worries, there's sure to be something for you to complain about from now until Friday.......:p
Do you realize that I write that post some time ago, NOT TODAY?!?! Thanks for taking words out of context.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Your buying a $600 cell phone. You know you need to pay for service to make it work. I don't understand your point.

If you go out and buy the phone it is reasonable to expect to use it for a period of time. If you can't do that, or feel it is a financial hardship on you, you should not be thinking about getting one in the first place.

You don't pay anything extra. You pay for service to use the phone.
Nice Post Marksman!

Now here's someone that "gets it".
The voice of reason, someone who will enjoy the new low priced plans offered by AT&T. A person who believes in free enterprise and paying for services rendered. A concept that many people here fail to understand.

Thanks for posting an intelligent, well thought out, balanced response.

Cheers....

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Do you realize that I write that post some time ago, NOT TODAY?!?! Thanks for taking words out of context.
It's not out of context, they were your words, your negative angry attitude, your choice to accuse AT&T of something that you fabricated.

Now just because AT&T proved you wrong your backing away from taking responsibility for your words, attitude and aggressive attack on AT&T.

Say what you like, but you cannot un-ring the bell.

Cheers....