The definitive iPhone activation and eligibility thread.

att_employee

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply. Well that's not great news. Is the 64k card better? Can I expect better reception or service if I change cards and networks at least? Also while I got you. I heard ATT was upgrading the EDGE network. Any idea how much faster the upgrades to the Edge network will make the internet connection of iPhone or have those upgrades already been done? Thanks again
Your service will be better. THe 64k sims connect better to the network - more memory. The EDGE upgrades are in process and should be complete im most areas... they're saying double current EDGE speeds (previously 110-170k)

att_employee

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
No, you must use Apple's sim card, as it's different. The phone is sealed, but the sim card can be popped out by sticking the end of a paper clip into it. Contacts can be transferred, as I mentioned recently.
Sorry to argue this point. It's a standard AT&T sim card and can be replaced with another AT&T sim card. That was made perfectly clear in "Train The Trainer" classes yesterday. You may transfer contacts by syncing to your pc (or mac) then down to you iPhone, or by syncing via a UME device in an AT&T store to a USB flash drive (14.95), then you may plug the flash drive into your pc and sync to the iPhone.

hong kong fooey

Jun 27, 2007
can I do this?

Can I cancel my contract after 14 day but with in 30 days (per the terms) - not pay an early termination fee. Take out the AT&T sim card, get an unlock code from say http://www.gsmphonesource.com/, then put in a sim card with a data plan from another carrier and be up and running (except for maybe the voice mail function). Will I be able to get e-mail, get on the web, SMS, etc. If as people say the phone would have limited functions without there data plan then how would the iPhone work normally when roaming outside of the AT&T network?

jgh2k

Bronze
May 9, 2007
So Cal USA
so if you can just go in and buy an iPhone and activate it at home, why do you have to have the main person on your family share account present when you purchase it?

Angel13

Jun 26, 2007
web.me.com
Is there an age restriction on who can go in to buy the phone? If I send my under-18 son with a friend (who is also buying an iPhone) and some cash, will he be able to get an iPhone for me?

att_employee

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
does anyone know how many units each store will be receiving?
The managers of the individual stores should all know how many units their own store is getting, at this point. That doesn't necessarily mean they're going to tell you... or their own salespeople... until Friday.

Diviant

Jun 21, 2007
so if you can just go in and buy an iPhone and activate it at home, why do you have to have the main person on your family share account present when you purchase it?

This is what I'm wondering. I assume they're trying to get the account holder in there so they can have them extend their plan on the spot to increase sales for their store or something.

In addition, this requirement would make NO sense since half the people buying the iPhone will not have AT&T plans, and thus there will be no account holder.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
It's true. We won't be activating on premises. We'll run credit, sell the phone and accessories, and discuss the different plans with you.
What if you already have an account? Can we just get the phone and go, or will you verify the account etc?

darthquaker

Jun 28, 2007
what time exactly will Apple.com start taking orders?

Does anyone know what time, exactly, on Friday Apple.com will make the phone available for web orders?

Also curious as to how many units will be available through the site for immediate shipment? I'm out in the boondocks on vacation and that's my only way to get the thing.

darthquaker

Jun 28, 2007
As there will be an in-store direct fulfillment process available, and quantities delivered to stores may be somewhat limited, supplies will run out quickly, and customers will be shipped their iPhone directly from the warehouse.
So if I go to an AT&T store, am too far back in line and they've sold out, how long is it going to take for the backorder to arrive by mail? Is there a guaranteed supply or am I going to be going to my mailbox for 2 months waiting for a factory in Korea to cough out another 5 million phones?

mward43

Jun 25, 2007
Sorry to argue this point. It's a standard AT&T sim card and can be replaced with another AT&T sim card. That was made perfectly clear in "Train The Trainer" classes yesterday. You may transfer contacts by syncing to your pc (or mac) then down to you iPhone, or by syncing via a UME device in an AT&T store to a USB flash drive (14.95), then you may plug the flash drive into your pc and sync to the iPhone.
so ATT man that i now love so much, i believe you on the part about it having just a regular ATT sim card, but is the sim card going to be accessible so that I can just pop the one i have now in without having to sync any contacts to my computer?

3dg

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Data plan, phone cost, contracts all are fine. Apple and AT&T did a good job figuring it all out. What really just sucks is the $36 activation. Really? We're signing up to pay you for two more years, AND adding a monthly data plan and you have to stick it to us for a B.S. fee?

Tacky.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
$36 dollars is the NEW LINE (new number) activation fee. The upgrade fee is $18, but that is being waived for iPhones.

gurvy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
should I cancel my verizon account first or will the activation allow me to just transfer my number to att and cancel verizon automatically?

torrentprime

Jun 27, 2007
San Jose, CA
should I cancel my verizon account first or will the activation allow me to just transfer my number to att and cancel verizon automatically?
If you watch the training video, it shows screens which support the porting (number transfer process). That should do it all for you.