The definitive iPhone activation and eligibility thread.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
I called AT&T Customer service and got an identical story. Bottom line, anyone who purchases an iPhone is purchasing it outright, whether you are eligible for upgrade or not. New customer, old customer, heck, if you want to go to the Apple store and purchase one without a plan or anything, unactivated, it sounds like you can. You wont be able to power it on or use it for anything other than a paperweight because it isn't active with a valid SIM chip, but hey, it's a damn good looking paper weight right?

$499.00 - 4gb
$599.00 - 8gb

Plain and simple. No upgrades, subsidies, blah blah blah...at least that seems to be the story AT&T is sticking to.
That's what I thought. I'll change the main post to reflect that.

Thanks for posting this.

As I mentioned in my other thread, I already found out that I'm not eligible. At least this is the stance several of my local AT&T stores are taking. I was hoping to get one under my corporate account, but it looks like that path has been taken away as well.

This sucks.
You're ineligible for a standard upgrade, however the iPhone is not a standard upgrade. It seems you will be asked to extend your contract to 2 years and get the data plan, but you'll be able to get the iPhone.

Great and very informative thread. I am also eager to hear if upgrade eligible people get a discount on the iPhone. I am prepared to pay the full $599 but if there is any chance of a discount that would be great.
No discount. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
yes definitely informative - i had no idea a data plan was going to be required, but that makes sense after ATTingular explained it :) thanks

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I hereby nominate Attingular for Post of the Year! Excellent post!

Thanks for spending the time to put it all down in one post. This is pretty much what we've thought for a while now and it does seem that there will be one price for the iPhone whether you're a new customer, an existing customer, or an existing customer with upgrade eligibility. If we find out any different, then it should be posted in this thread for Attingular to edit into his original post.

This thread will be extremely helpful to people searching for details about the iPhone plans.

Thanks again.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
Thanks for posting this.

As I mentioned in my other thread, I already found out that I'm not eligible. At least this is the stance several of my local AT&T stores are taking. I was hoping to get one under my corporate account, but it looks like that path has been taken away as well.

This sucks.
Keep the faith man, there's plenty of information out there that conflicts with your findings... hopefully it will work out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
If this thread is definitive can you at least spell it right?! ;)

I refuse to believe anything posted anonymously on the Internet until release day.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Thanks for putting that information together.

I got a bit concerned. I am a cingular customer, and I am about 7 or 8 months into my contract. As long as I can extend and buy, i will be happy.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
If all this is true(and I think it is) then AT&T has just f'd up big time and ruined all the work Apple put into the iPhone. Leave it to Att to screw something up that could have been so nice.:(

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
You're ineligible for a standard upgrade, however the iPhone is not a standard upgrade. It seems you will be asked to extend your contract to 2 years and get the data plan, but you'll be able to get the iPhone.
I hope you're right. Right now, I'm down to Plan C - add a line to my account.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Also pretty nice that nobody at Att/Cingular knows anything about the data or voice plan packages that you need for this thing with about 3 weeks to go :confused: . That leads me to believe that their are still fighting with Apple about the plans. I'm beginning to think that with Att this phone is gonna fail. :(

Apple should have just made their own cell service. The current cell phone businesss in the U.S is a god damn joke. Holding you hostage with their contracts and not letting you buy new phones unless you are "eligible for an upgrade" is ridiculous.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Also pretty nice that nobody at Att/Cingular knows anything about the data or voice plan packages that you need for this thing with about 3 weeks to go :confused: . That leads me to believe that their are still fighting with Apple about the plans. I'm beginning to think that with Att this phone is gonna fail. :(

Apple should have just made their own cell service. The current cell phone businesss in the U.S is a god damn joke. Holding you hostage with their contracts and not letting you buy new phones unless you are "eligible for an upgrade" is ridiculous.
He said you'll still be able to buy it for the same price whether you're eligible for upgrade or not. He just said that there might be some goodies that go with upgrading if you're eligible. I don't think you'll see any discounts of the posted $499/$599 prices. Someone might get some free data for a month or two, but that will be about it.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
He said you'll still be able to buy it for the same price whether you're eligible for upgrade or not. He just said that there might be some goodies that go with upgrading if you're eligible. I don't think you'll see any discounts of the posted $499/$599 prices. Someone might get some free data for a month or two, but that will be about it.
That would be ok I guess then. I just saw this and kinda went into a rage.

Customers currently in contract (based on current consensus) will be able to purchase the iPhone with a contract extension and data subscription. You may or may not be asked for an upgrade processing fee.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
What I said is precisely what I meant. You'll need a voice plan, a data package and a 2 year agreement. Upgrading customers still under contract may pay a upgrade/activation fee of around $20. That fee is one time, and has been a standard fee for a while. Don't wanna pay it? Try and get a free case out of the rep, you'll end up ahead.

As I'm hearing, the benefit of waiting is getting a waived upgrade fee. AT&T isn't in the habit of giving out free data, that is a long shot. And Apple doesn't want any discounts on the device, so don't blame AT&T for that one.

If this thread is definitive can you at least spell it right?! ;)
Well, I spelled every other word in this thread correctly. A 99.8% correct spelling rate (without spell-check) sounds good to me.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
So what if I don't want to sign a new contract and am not eligible for an upgrade till August. You guys are just gonna turn me away? Sounds like pretty good businesss. "Screw current customers, we can get new ones."

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
Except no one is being turned away. You'll extend your contract to 2 years from the date of purchase, and subscribe to the data plan, you get the device. How far you are into your contract doesn't matter.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Except no one is being turned away. You'll extend your contract to 2 years from the date of purchase
yeah, I don't want to sign a new contract now. So I will be turned away?

I call "extend your contract" the same thing as signing a new contract.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
Call it whatever you want, but that's the deal. If you don't want to sign a contract, then you don't want an iPhone.

Is that bad businesss? Not for AT&T, for you see, they don't make a dime off the phone, only the service.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I call "extend your contract" the same thing as signing a new contract.
I would too.

Talk about capitalizing... AT&T knows retaining customers is a lot cheaper than getting new ones... so while you upgrade to a new phone and data plan, we'll just kindly extend your contract, too. what a bunch of bull. it's no skin off AT&T's nose what phone we use—hell we pay full price for the iPhone anyway—they should be lucky they even have the iPhone at all.