The definitive iPhone activation and eligibility thread.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Call it whatever you want, but that's the deal. If you don't want to sign a contract, then you don't want an iPhone.

Is that bad businesss? Not for AT&T, for you see, they don't make a dime off the phone, only the service.
Yeah, I'm pretty close to not getting one, the real deal breaker will be the price of the data plan. Anything over $20 a month for slow a** EDGE is a ripoff.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I'm starting to think if the iPhone fails, it will be because of AT&T.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
He said you'll still be able to buy it for the same price whether you're eligible for upgrade or not. He just said that there might be some goodies that go with upgrading if you're eligible. I don't think you'll see any discounts of the posted $499/$599 prices. Someone might get some free data for a month or two, but that will be about it.
The free data for a month or two would be great for those eligible to upgrade, however unlikely it is. I can understand not wanting to dock the price of a brand new device but I still think it is a bit unfair to not properly reward those loyal customers who are eligible after they have already been in contract for 2 years. Either way, it isn't going to deter me from getting an iPhone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yeah, then after two months you will get charged $39.99 plus tax a month for data.:mad:
It doesn't make sense to not have a data plan. With the widgets running this thing is going to be drawing data ALL THE TIME. At $.01/Kb for data, you'll be at the price of a data plan in a few days.

I understand where you're coming from on the two year extension of your contract. There's no subsidy on the phone, so there's really no investment for Apple (other that what it costs them to get the exclusive contract with Apple). Maybe the two year extension is how they're going to pay Apple.Who knows?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
If a data plan is required, I wonder if the $10/month 5MB SmartPhone Connect might fit the bill...

With the widgets running this thing is going to be drawing data ALL THE TIME. At $.01/Kb for data, you'll be at the price of a data plan in a few days.
Actually, under Tiger, Widgets only get data and update themselves when they're activated. I would assume the same for the iPhone.

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Touchscreen
The touchscreen technology is based on electrical capacitance, basically how your fingers have a static charge to them and it is this charge that actually interacts with the screen. Wearing gloves will disable your ability to interact with the device.
So will screen protectors be compatible?

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
It doesn't make sense to not have a data plan. With the widgets running this thing is going to be drawing data ALL THE TIME. At $.01/Kb for data, you'll be at the price of a data plan in a few days.

I understand where you're coming from on the two year extension of your contract. There's no subsidy on the phone, so there's really no investment for Apple (other that what it costs them to get the exclusive contract with Apple). Maybe the two year extension is how they're going to pay Apple.Who knows?
If AT&T was smart they would create a $10 a month "iPhone data plan" with unlimited data and sms texting. But that will probably happen whenever hell freezes over.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Yeah, I'm pretty close to not getting one, the real deal breaker will be the price of the data plan. Anything over $20 a month for slow a** EDGE is a ripoff.
You seem to have a perpetual list of reasons not to get the iPhone.

So why sweat it. Just don't get one.

For someone who is gung-ho about getting the iPhone and spending $500 or $600 on it, a 2 year contract is hardly a big deal. Why are you buying it if you can't see yourself using it for 2 years?

To me the 2 year contract is a non-issue considering all the other factors.

Of course this all assumes you wanted one with the intent to use it for yourself, and not hope to re-sell it right away for a marked up fee.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
You seem to have a perpetual list of reasons not to get the iPhone.

So why sweat it. Just don't get one.

For someone who is gung-ho about getting the iPhone and spending $500 or $600 on it, a 2 year contract is hardly a big deal. Why are you buying it if you can't see yourself using it for 2 years?

To me the 2 year contract is a non-issue considering all the other factors.

Of course this all assumes you wanted one with the intent to use it for yourself, and not hope to re-sell it right away for a marked up fee.
My main concern is over the data plan and what the price of that might be. That is all.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
a 2 year contract is hardly a big deal.
That's precisely what cell phone companies want you to think. "Oh it's only blah blah extra per month." $20/month ends up costing you more than $480 after two years time (not including tax). I don't know about you but I could find other things to spend that money on or invest it—especially on a slow-ass data plan I'll barely use since I plan to use Wi-Fi 99% of the time.

And people wonder why so much of this country has credit problems... $10 here/$20 there... it adds up. Pretty soon, you've overextended yourself financially. (Part the reason Rockefellar was so successful was all those tiny details that added up.)

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
That's precisely what cell phone companies want you to think. "Oh it's only blah blah extra per month." $20/month ends up costing you more than $480 after two years time (not including tax). I don't know about you but I could find other things to spend that money on or invest it—especially on a slow-ass data plan I'll barely use since I plan to use Wi-Fi 99% of the time.

And people wonder why so much of this country has credit problems... $10 here/$20 there... it adds up. Pretty soon, you've overextended yourself financially. (Part the reason Rockefellar was so successful was all those tiny details that added up.)
Your buying a $600 cell phone. You know you need to pay for service to make it work. I don't understand your point.

If you go out and buy the phone it is reasonable to expect to use it for a period of time. If you can't do that, or feel it is a financial hardship on you, you should not be thinking about getting one in the first place.

You don't pay anything extra. You pay for service to use the phone.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
thanks for the info attingular.

plan a for me is to simply upgrade my plan (maybe pay $20 fee) buy my phone and peace the f out!

plan b (if i can't simply upgrade) is to cancel my plan ($150-175?) and reorder a plan.

Attingular,

if i'm correct, plan b won't be an issue and i'll be able to go with my plan A? Thanks for any feedback.

lovemacs

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Activation

I do not have an AT&T account yet. when i get the iPhone, should i do it at an AT&T store? Or can i go to the Apple store? I'm trying to make this as easy as possible ahead of time. Or should i go to an AT&T a day before and set up a plan with no phone? Also, are those who are ordering it online assumed to already have AT&T? Thank you for the help and this thread is great! It's the first time i've posted anything, i've been reading for weeks now.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
We are just pissed about the required "slow ass" data plan that you have to get and we all know its gonna be expensive.
You are pissed off about speculated requirements? Cingular/AT&T does NOT require data plans on any devices they sell... but it is a "pay me now or pay me later" kind of thing... if you use the data network, you will have to pay. We don't know for sure what the deal is yet.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
Apple as now removed any mention of 2 year contract requirements from all iPhone ads.

Last edited by a moderator:

C130

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
You are pissed off about speculated requirements? Cingular/AT&T does NOT require data plans on any devices they sell... but it is a "pay me now or pay me later" kind of thing... if you use the data network, you will have to pay. We don't know for sure what the deal is yet.
Well, they required one when I bought my Cingular 8125 and for most people who actually have a job and use the phone for businesss purposes what's the point of having a $600 phone without the ability to access the internet unless you never leave home and use your own wi-fi or travel a lot and stay in hotels. I can tell you most all hotels charge for internet access unless you are staying at the Holiday Inns, Best Western's etc, nothing wrong with that but they are about the only ones that offer free internet. Without the data plan the phone is almost useless as there would be no email, internet access but then we have people that are going to camp out for a PHONE so for some I think it's just all about having an iPhone but I believe they will require a data plan but hopefully they won't for those that don't want it.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Well, they required one when I bought my Cingular 8125 and for most people who actually have a job and use the phone for businesss purposes what's the point of having a $600 phone without the ability to access the internet unless you never leave home and use your own wi-fi or travel a lot and stay in hotels. I can tell you most all hotels charge for internet access unless you are staying at the Holiday Inns, Best Western's etc, nothing wrong with that but they are about the only ones that offer free internet. Without the data plan the phone is almost useless as there would be no email, internet access but then we have people that are going to camp out for a PHONE so for some I think it's just all about having an iPhone but I believe they will require a data plan but hopefully they won't for those that don't want it.
I am an IT manager and have a Blackjack myself, with the PDA Connect plan for exactly the reasons you mention. However, they don't REQUIRE a data plan unless you want to qualify for rebates or other promotions (note the fine print in the contracts) and thereforee it is an incorrect assumption that they will require one for the iPhone, especially since there is no news directly from Cingular on this. My point was that it is silly to get worked up over something until you know it to be a fact. I am hoping that they classify the iPhone as a smartphone (at best) so I can get a less expensive data plan myself!