The definitive iPhone activation and eligibility thread.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
Maybe the Apple Police arrested him for giving out too much info :p.
Nope, I never signed an Apple non-disclosure agreement, as I'm not directly involved with the sales and marketing of the iPhone. I know people who are, and I've reported what I've gleaned from what's usually obscure and indirect references. The really ambiguous stuff I put under "#### I don't know."

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Nope, I never signed an Apple non-disclosure agreement, as I'm not directly involved with the sales and marketing of the iPhone. I know people who are, and I've reported what I've gleaned from what's usually obscure and indirect references. The really ambiguous stuff I put under "#### I don't know."
Haha well put. Thank you though very much for everything thing you have given and provided for us thus far.

n_kat

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Oregon Coast
So will screen protectors be compatible?
I have the LG Prada phone (love it, but I'm an Apple fan to the core) and have a screen protector from Shield Zone over the touch screen and it works great! I don't even need to put the phone in a case. It's totally protected. I've already ordered a full protector from them for the iPhone.

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I have the LG Prada phone (love it, but I'm an Apple fan to the core) and have a screen protector from Shield Zone over the touch screen and it works great! I don't even need to put the phone in a case. It's totally protected. I've already ordered a full protector from them for the iPhone.
Thanks for that info, that makes me feel a bit better.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Will these screen protectors inhibit the static-electricity aspect of the touch screen? They said you could not use it wearing gloves. These protectors won't interfere will they?

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Will these screen protectors inhibit the static-electricity aspect of the touch screen? They said you could not use it wearing gloves. These protectors won't interfere will they?
I sure hope not, but no one seems to know for sure.

n_kat

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Oregon Coast
My LG Prada phone is totally touch screen and my Shield Zone screen protector doesn't interfere at all. It actually doesn't make any difference is how the phone works, only that now it is totally protected.

Note: I was a little worried when I first put the Shield Zone protector on. It didn't look as smooth as I had wanted, but after a day (just like the instructions state) it looks great! Like I stated in a previous post, I've already ordered a Shield Zone protector for my new iPhone :) when I get it!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
My LG Prada phone is totally touch screen and my Shield Zone screen protector doesn't interfere at all. It actually doesn't make any difference is how the phone works, only that now it is totally protected.

Note: I was a little worried when I first put the Shield Zone protector on. It didn't look as smooth as I had wanted, but after a day (just like the instructions state) it looks great! Like I stated in a previous post, I've already ordered a Shield Zone protector for my new iPhone :) when I get it!
I'm sorry but where did you order it from?

ProductProFresno

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Nice!
Hey btw ATTingular, I sent you a few private messages, have you gotten those?
Thanks.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com

Unfortunately, your LG Prada and the iPhone use completely different technologies for their touch screens. The fact that a screen protector doesn't affect your Prada has no bearing on whether it will affect the iPhone's screen. At this point, I think we are going to have to wait until Apple sheds light on this issue or someone actually tries a screen protector on an iPhone to know for sure.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I would be cautious ordering extras and add-ons from people who are making them for a product they have never used.

I suspect a lot of stuff is not going to work right....

Will be interesting on the touch screen, but since the screen actually detects your finger via static electricity, I think a shield over that, would likely make it not work. Since the people who made the screen have not likely used the iPhone yet, it is anyone's guess.

Josh

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
It's not really static electricity that displays like the iPhone use, but more like the very minimal current your body puts off. If it were static, you'd get way too much interference.

Imagine how your click wheel on the iPod works when you scroll through a song or change the volume.

(Haven't touched the iPhone, just going off of what I know.)

Somekid231

May 31, 2007
The thing about the touch screen is though - Steve said that the 'slide unlock' feature was there because they wanted to think of something that wouldn't turn the phone on in your pocket.
If gloves and such don't interact with the phone's display, then why would the inside of your pants?

Thoughts?

-C

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The thing about the touch screen is though - Steve said that the 'slide unlock' feature was there because they wanted to think of something that wouldn't turn the phone on in your pocket.
If gloves and such don't interact with the phone's display, then why would the inside of your pants?

Thoughts?

-C
Because sometimes you put your hand in your pockets when they're cold. If it weren't locked that could turn the phone on and run down the battery. I guess you could accidentally call China as well.:eek:

kewl!o

Bronze
May 28, 2007
Apex, NC
thethirdrail.wordpress.com
Devices bought in Apple stores will be activated by Apple reps.The number delivered to AT&T stores will vary from 12 (if any) to 36.
Has anyone gotten any idea where the iPhone will actually show up for sales on the 29th? AT&T said they expect them at "main" locations (i.e. not all) ... and the Apple Store employees said that they would only be sold at their store "since it is an Apple product".

I don't know where the 12-36 number came from for AT&T. Has anyone heard a number for Apple Stores?

Kewl!o :cool:

everythingiphone123

Jun 5, 2007
Has anyone gotten any idea where the iPhone will actually show up for sales on the 29th? AT&T said they expect them at "main" locations (i.e. not all) ... and the Apple Store employees said that they would only be sold at their store "since it is an Apple product".

I don't know where the 12-36 number came from for AT&T. Has anyone heard a number for Apple Stores?

Kewl!o :cool:
no but AT&T will probably have more than Apple

thepepes

May 20, 2007
NY
no but AT&T will probably have more than Apple

I think its pretty interesting that Apple removed the "required 2 year contract" from their ads. If the iPhone does not have any rebates or discounts for upgrades or buying a new 2 year contract, it will be the only phone Cingular's ever had that's been that way. I know everybody here is willing to pay whatever price it seems, but the majority of the American public may not be so easily swayed. I'll be really surprised if they release the phone and it has only one fixed price. Besides you all, I haven't talked to anyone who would be interested in paying that much for it - and they all have iPods and Apple computers, so its not at all like they're out of the loop. I think Steve Jobs wants the iPhone to be as successful as the iPod, and I think one of the main selling points of the iPod is its afforability.